Wireless Adapter: USB or PCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerosinek

Baseband Member
I'm in the market for a new wireless adapter and have this lingering thought that the PCI adapters are better for some reason. Now, whether this is true or not, I have no idea. Does one offer a better, faster, or more stable connection over the other? Is there any difference at all other than how they connect to your computer?

Maximum PC did a review on this very question about a month a go.. There conclusion was this:

USB (plugged into its a adapter base; not directly into the computer = best
PCI = second best
USB (not plugged into base adapter) = worst

You can see it in the second picture.. It basically is just an extender. The helpful thing about it is that you can place it in a spot where the wireless signal is strongest and it gets the adapter farther away from the computer which with all of its metal parts that may interfere/or reduce the signal. On a side note; every USB adapter I've ever gotten has come with one.

Linksys WUSB600N Dual-Band Wireless N Adapter - 802.11abgn, USB 2.0, at TigerDirect.com

I would go PCI if I had a choice. I realize most new computers have 8 or so USB drives, but those are with extentions. You usually only have 4 or so on the back. Two or three are already taken up by mouse, keyboard, and printers, then if you want do sync your PDA you take another one. So while there are plenty of USB bays to go around, you can never find enough IMO - and I personally don't like connecting them to the front of the computer unless it is something like a thumb drive.

So for convenience I would suggest PCI. As no one wants to plug / unplug devices you don't know what they are to because you run out of spots in the back of the computer. And in the future there will more and more devices using the USB drives - so save yourself the headaches and just get a PCI one.

i stay wired because it is cheap, lower latency, and 100% connectivity. I'm gonna try my hardest to no go wireless, no matter how advanced or efficient it may be.

EDIT:

this is what i would have to get if i ever, ever wanted to try going wireless. I have a Netgear RangeMax Next Wireless-N WNR854T Gigabit version:

Newegg.com - NETGEAR WN111 IEEE 802.11n draft specification, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g 2.4 GHz USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter Up to 300Mbps Data Rates Wi-Fi protected access (WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK)
Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) 64-b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom