wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgray

In Runtime
wirelss

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have wireless g linksys broadband router. i am trying to network a gateway xp pc, 1yearold with a gateway 5yr. old pc. i don't have an installation disk but i found the information on line. when i got to a certain point, setup said couldn't detect network adapter in my host xp. do i need to install a wireless card in the host xp pc? one card came with the the router and i put it in the client 98 pc. also when i was trying to set up the network and had to exit it, it knocked me off line. i'm using roadrunner. the only way i could get back on was to unhook the router. any ideas?

1st. you will need to enable DHCP on the router, this should be enabled automatically.
the cable modem should have a network cable and this will connect to the WAN port of your Router.

next the Host PC running XP if within close proximity to the router should be connected with an ethernet canble (network cable like the one from the cable modem.) plug this into port 1.
check the setting for your network connection to make sure is says obtain ip address automatically.

i would assume you are trying to run wireless on the windows 98 pc.
if you have installed a wireless card that came with the router in that pc and are having trouble. uninstall the card and follow the instructions provided with your router for proper instalation on a win. 98 machine.

it would help if you could supply a model number for your router and network card.

also Linksys is pritty good about having answers online... here's a link to the knowledge base. http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=11So3nvh

wireless-g 2.4ghz broadband router. model no.wrt54g
wireless-gpci adapter 2.4ghz. model no. wmp54g.

i still don't know if i need another card in the winxp machine
i understood when i bought the router and card as a package that was all i needed

Do what Roshi229 said. The WMP54G should be installed in the Win98 machine. Make sure you follow the instructions by installing the software BEFORE you install the card in the computer.
That Linksys router came with a wizard CD or it can be downloaded online, that will automatically set up your Win XP host machine. In short; ethernet cable from cable modem plugs into the port that says internet on the router. Ethernet cable from Win XP host computer plugs into port 1 on the router. make sure you follow the directions as to plug in modem first and let it do self test, plug in router and check lights, and then power on computer.
It sounds like you don't have the ethernet cable from host computer plugged into the port 1 on the router.

I KNOW HOW TO HOOK EVERYTHING UP. I DON'T NEED ANOTHER WIRELESS CARD IN THE HOST XP RIGHY?

no
you don't need another wireless card if you are using an ethernet cable and standard network card. it is either or.

try unplugging the cable modem and router for 15 - 20 sec. let it reset and assign the new ip address directly to the router.

if ure still experiencing problems it might be wise to install teh wireless card to the newer gateway and lan the older one.

rgray, the reason that I went through the connection procedure is because we have all at some point overlooked what turns out to be something simple that we knew how to do. If you are asking do you need another wireless card, then I would put that in the category of not knowing how to hook it up. As I said before if you are getting the error that you describe "couldn't detect network adapter", that would indicated that your ethernet adapter either is not connected, doesn't have the correct drivers, or is bad/not seated corrected on your host XP computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom