WinXP Service Pack 1 matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

U_X_U

Solid State Member
Hi, guys...

I just installed SP1 to my WinXP Pro system. It ran fine, but in the end the computer did not restart (even thogh I had explicitly chosen it to). It did not want to shut down or log off either, so when I checked the Task Manager, I found a process there: something like winupdmgr.exe. As soon as I killed it, the system was able to reboot. This process starts avary time I start Windows, so, naturally, I have to kill it every time I want to close my computer. Does anyone have any information on this? What went wrong? (Meanwhile I changed the program's name so it doesn't launch at startup, but the matter remains...)

It connects to MS so it can get updates. It really doesn't like being turned off when it's checking for updates which is often.

Another problem Microsoft created. I discovered that Windows Messenger will log onto .NET Passport when XP starts. If someone runs Remote Assistance, they can send the request then everyone can see your online with MSN even though Windows Messenger isn't running in task bar. I had to remove my .NET Passport account from my PC.

I wish Microsoft got better programmers. Seems they want security holes.

Weird. Sorry for the repeat but IE is being a brat tonight/morning. I'll delete it. From what I could tell, it was checking for updates a lot and it had to come off the hard drive.

Did you disable Automatic Updates?

I think I missed that. I only disabled system restore and monitoring and stuff like that.

By the way... sorry for the post.. I ment it to be within the Operating Systems and Software group.. must've confused the IE windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom