Not open for further replies.

dantes44

Beta member
Hey everyone,

Got a problem with my folks computer, but from what I remember the specs are

Celeron 1.3gz (or mz??)
256k PC133 SDRAM
40 gig. hard drive

--1. When using applications, such as Word, when I type it takes a second for the text to appear on screen. I check the task manager/ cpu usage thing and it showed that even when I just moved the mouse left to right the CPU usage meter would jump to 100 percent. Now, I am not that good at troubleshooting computers but it seems to me that that is a problem.

--2. Also, with the same computer I tried to put in a PNY 512 PC133 SDRAM chip (after removing the 256k chip) and the computer would not start up, just gives that beeping sound. Is that a problem with the chip or is it something else.

Thanks in advance.

for the first problem, download and update all service packs for XP and office, office (depending on the version) is up to SP4, I think Xp has SP1 out.

check the specs on your MB, it might not be able to read or see a 512 mb stick, also alot of bords are limited to 512, check the manual that will tell you what you need to know.

could also be a dead stick.....

good luck!

sorry, just another quick note, do the stick of ram look the same??? some are double sided , while other onle have one side, check this out. I have had a few pc's not boot because of this...

also check the page file size in XP....... might have to turn in up a bit....

1) Updates are a good thing, as Beefy mentioned.

I had a system acting the exact same way the other day- drove me nuts! I tried everything until finally I loaded bios defaults on the system. This finally fixed it. SO it's worth a try i guess. ;-)

2) Are you sure the MTB you have will accept the new style 512 memory sticks out there? The pc133 memory that is most prevalent today have a higher density type of chip on them. They are usually 8 chips/side. Older MTB's have a hard time recognizing the new density chips. If your MTB is older than 8 to 12 months there is a good possibility it will not work with this type of ram.

Old MTB & 512 sticks = either double stacked chips, or double rowed/side!
Old MTB & 256 = 8 chips /side
OLD MTB& 128 = 8 chips one side - one side only!

New Density 512 = 8 chips / side
New Density 256 = 8 chips on one side only, or 4 chips each side
New Density 128 = 4 chips one side

hope this helps. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom