Windows XP Pro Re-formatting. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2004, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Windows XP Pro Re-formatting.

Hey all, Ok I am a nOObie at reformatting, I have never done it myself. I have gotten myself a virus and I really don't feel like trying to remove it so I am going to reformat. Truthfully, I don't even know how to reformatt. I have Windows XP pro. I have a 160 7200RPM HD. How much of my HD should I partion? and how should I do it. I heard somewhere that I may need a regular Windows XP disk? Someone please take my step by step on how to reformat, Partion space, and everything else. I want to do a CLEAN reformat, leaving NOTHING behind. I have all my mobo drivers and video card drivers ready. I just want to start my computer over. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-28-2004, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Okay well if you want to format and reinstall with windows it is fairly easy. First and most important step is to get a hold of a windows XP CD. After this it is simple.
1) Start up your computer and enter into the BIOS (Usually by pressing delete a few times when you start your comp)
2) Somewhere in your BIOS (Generally under Advanced BIOS features) there will be an option for you to change your boot sequence. RIght now it may look like this; Floppy, HD-0, CD-ROM. You want to put CD-ROM at the top of the list.
3) Put in your windows XP cd and SAVE and exit the bios. When it starts back up watch the screen for any messages about booting from the cd. A blue screen should come up that guides you through the rest. (Make sure you delete ALL your partitions if you want to remove everything and foprmat using NTFS)

4) Although windows XP guides you through everything, you need to know whether u actually want partitions or not. With a harddrive your size, i would partition about 100 gigs and leave 60 for my windows/program files/documents and all that crap. Then leave 100 for all your media. This way, when you want to format again you can just leave all your stuff on your 100gig partition, and just reinstall on the 60. Again, the windowsxp setup will guide you through the partitioning.

Any problems jsut ask.

Old 06-29-2004, 01:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Yah and make sure you delete the old partition. Also if you dont want to go into bios try putting the disc in your computer restarting and see if it comes up with "hit any key to boot from disc..." its a possibilty. Otherwise do like sithspawn said.
P4 2.26 ghz, Intel d850emv2 mobo, 768mb of pc800, sony 4x dvd-rw, teac burner, nvidia ti4600 graphics, enermax 330watt ps
4 silent uv fans, cold cathodes in full tower antec case, round ide cables

SOny vaio 2.66 ht ghz modded into raidmax case with green cold cathodes.
P4 2.8ghz HT, 512mb ddr, Intel KD865gbfl, onboard video, raidmax case, blue cathodes, round ide, loomed wires, 4x dvd burner, wd sata 80gb hard drive
Intel d865perl, 2.8ghz northwood, antec sonata, wd caviar 20gb, Corsair 512mbx1 for now. 380watt psu, ati 9600, dvdrom cdrw floppy in black too match case
Old 06-29-2004, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

do i just use an windows xp cd??
Old 06-29-2004, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Ya. You'll be given the option to format/partition in the installation process of WinXP.
<font face=\"arial\" color=\"#414D6A\" size=\"1\">PC SPECS:</font>
<font face=\"arial\" size=\"1\">
AMD Bartion 2500+ 1800Mhz
PC2100 256Mb DDRAM x 2
LG 52x24x52 CD
Seagate 80Gb 7200rpm 2Mb
ATI Radeon 9550 256Mb 8x
Intergrated PCI sound
17\" Samsung LCD 173s
Closed Thread