Windows XP BSOD's - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2004, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to annoyed llama Send a message via Yahoo to annoyed llama
Angry Windows XP BSOD's

They don't have an extremely pissed smilely or I'd use that one.

My first homebrew machine:

XFX NF2S-ALH nForce2 chipset with AMD Athlon XP 2400+ @ 266MHz FSB
512MB pc3200 DDR RAM @ 400MHz (brand name Ultra)
XFX GeForce FX 5600 256MB DDR

I put my machine together and installed Win XP Pro. Shortly after my first boot the machine started spontaneously rebooting. I unchecked 'Automatically restart' and started getting BSOD's. After reading through previous topics along the same lines of my problem I figured I'd try a new power supply. I upgraded from a 300W to an Enlight 420W PSU.

The BSOD's continued. I've tried installing nForce2 chipset drivers from nVidia's website to no avail.

The BSOD appears (for instance) when I try to install Halo. Always at the same place. BSOD's also occur when I plug my digital camera in to the USB port.

I haven't tried re-installing XP but I have installed 2000 and plan on seeing if the problem persists in a different operating system. I will post once I discover the results.

Is Ultra brand RAM a decent brand? What would you recommend doing to help solve the problem I am having?

I apologize if this is a redundant post but in all of the other post I've read no solution was developed that I saw.

All help and information is appreciated if you have any questions please ask.

Old 01-13-2004, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Well im sorry to tell you this but you got what i call probably one of the most buggiest boards on the market. Ive tried helping people with this board multiple times. Ive heard of this from that mb, i never found out how to fix it. Also, if you DO get it to work, DO NOT put kingston RAM in it - you will have tons of more problems, but the only recommendation that i have is to buy a new board. : (

I agrue with people.|
Old 01-15-2004, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to annoyed llama Send a message via Yahoo to annoyed llama

I've installed w2k and the problems are the same. I fired up memtest and let it cook over night for a good eight hours and it reported 5000 someodd errors!

Also, in my infinite stupidity and clumsiness I seemed to have scratched the board and severed a connection beneath the silk screening while installing it. I've just noticed it now.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks MicroBell for the info. I purchased Ultra brand RAM because the last time I purchased RAM (164 pin SDRAM) it was Ultra brand and so far I have had absolutely no troubles with it.

I can't seem to find my magnifying gl*** otherwise I would have already had a really detailed look at the scratch. I will drop by the Computer Deli tomorrow and pick up some Crucial brand RAM.

Closed Thread