Windows won't start-not even from boot disk - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2004, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Windows won't start-not even from boot disk

I'm new here and somewhat computer illiterate. I have an old Compaq Presario 7000 (7AP140) that I wanted to sell on ebay. It used to work just fine, but I purchased a new computer so it's just taking up space.
Now, if I turn it on, it just goes to a screen that says Compaq...nothing else. I thought maybe Windows needed to be reinstalled, so I put a Windows 2000 boot disk in the floppy, but still nothing. I mention that I used a Windows 2000 boot disk, because the computer currently has '98 on it. I don't have the windows 98 disk though. I have no idea what's going on as this computer never showed any signs of problems.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,

Old 04-04-2004, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

If the computer can take it see if you can get your hands on a winxp cd. If not then try a win2k cd. Any bootable cd. See if it will boot from CD. If all of that fails get a 98 boot disk.

If you try win2k disk it will proably switch it to NTFS. I recommend a 98 boot disk.

Go to and look for one - or a google search for win98 boot disk. There will be files you can download and put on a floppy, if this doesnt work post again.

I agrue with people.|
Old 04-30-2004, 11:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I finally got around to trying your suggestions. I tried a Win 98 boot disk from, and both 2000 Pro and XP Pro cds. No luck, just the same "Compaq" screen as before; any other suggestions?
Closed Thread