Windows won't start-not even from boot disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

stygian7

Beta member
Hi,
I'm new here and somewhat computer illiterate. I have an old Compaq Presario 7000 (7AP140) that I wanted to sell on ebay. It used to work just fine, but I purchased a new computer so it's just taking up space.
Now, if I turn it on, it just goes to a screen that says Compaq...nothing else. I thought maybe Windows needed to be reinstalled, so I put a Windows 2000 boot disk in the floppy, but still nothing. I mention that I used a Windows 2000 boot disk, because the computer currently has '98 on it. I don't have the windows 98 disk though. I have no idea what's going on as this computer never showed any signs of problems.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
-Kevin

If the computer can take it see if you can get your hands on a winxp cd. If not then try a win2k cd. Any bootable cd. See if it will boot from CD. If all of that fails get a 98 boot disk.

If you try win2k disk it will proably switch it to NTFS. I recommend a 98 boot disk.

Go to bootdisk.com and look for one - or a google search for win98 boot disk. There will be files you can download and put on a floppy, if this doesnt work post again.

I finally got around to trying your suggestions. I tried a Win 98 boot disk from bootdisk.com, and both 2000 Pro and XP Pro cds. No luck, just the same "Compaq" screen as before; any other suggestions?
-Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom