Windows taking much longer to boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MADWAD

In Runtime
Before i say anything i posted this in "Windows Operating section" at first but i think it could also be a hardware problem. so here we go:

This just started happening about 2 days ago. When i turn on my computer and the blue screen with windows comes up, it stays at that screen alot longer than it did before. Then my wallpaper comes up but nothing else (no programs completely blank except for the wallpaper). After a wait some of the programs come up then i have to wait a little longer for the rest of them to appear. Can anyone tell me whats happening? Why is my computer so slow when booting? Thanks in advance

BTW - is there a program out there to see if my hardware is working correctly?

alright what u prolly wanna do and prolly the least stressfull is to reformat. If u have another hdd just copy all ur files over to that or put the files in my shared folder and trnsfer them to another pc on ur network. then refirmat, reinstall drivers and copy files back. or get partition magic and i hear u can save all ur settings too but ive never had that expirience.

Don't get me wrong it does boot, it just takes alot longer. So let me get this straight i should reformat and to do this i need a 2nd harddrive or another computer? How the hell i'm i suppose to do that? CRAP!!! I thought this is what i had to do.

Alvin,lol.....i guess i'm totally missing your point. I'll try to boot it in safe mode and see what happens.

Does your comp boot fine through the POST, and then it slows down? Or does it crawl through it as well?

I notice it slows down when I get to the blue screen with the word WINDOWS (then it makes that sound like windows is starting) there's a little wait there and then my desktop comes up but nothings there except my Eagles wallpaper. Then theres a 30 second wait and the computer seems not to be doing anything. Then some of my programs appear...wait a little more then the rest of my programs appear.

What all is starting with Windows? Use 'msconfig' and axe anything that you do not need to start. Keep your antivirus and firewall.

Also, how clean is your registry? Download and run TweakNow:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/TweakNow_RegCleaner_d4134.html
Run it and nix everything that it says is safe to chuck.

Look at what it is unsure of. If it belongs to something you have uninstalled, axe it.

Then reboot and see if it helps.

why havent u guys suggested defragging? that would be what i first do.

And if u have norton antivirus well thats probably your problem also. Norton antivirus has caused me to reformat twice now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom