Windows can't recognize right amount of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank God I fixed it at last by replacing the RAM stick to the DIMM socket. I think the BIOS had a problem updating itself and that fixed it. I'm not sure.

Windows goofs like that sometimes. I've seen many compaqs where, when you added the onboard memory (not for video, just onboard) and RAM modules, it was no where near the real value.

CPU-Z says you have 256mb so don't worry about it.

If I go to properties on my computer right now it'll say I have a 2400+ mobile at 518Mhz

Can't believe only one person recognized that (fading theory), yeesh

Nubius said:
CPU-Z says you have 256mb so don't worry about it.

If I go to properties on my computer right now it'll say I have a 2400+ mobile at 518Mhz

Can't believe only one person recognized that (fading theory), yeesh

I should actually worry if CPU-Z detected a 256 MB RAM while my BIOS and Windows did not.

It was only CPU-Z which detected it, therefore, Windows couldn't access the added RAM module.

It only says 256mb because sticks of RAM have electronic signatures to them telling the computer, the size,speed, and date of manufacturer, and who made it.

yeah, uzi9mm is certainly right, CPU-Z uses the SPD to detect certain characteristics like he specified, most likely the motherboard wasn't capable of identifying the high density ram properly, which in older motherboards, can be a problem.
So don't go believe that stick of ram is bad, you should be able to put it in another system no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom