Winchester or Newcastle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oceanb0rn

Baseband Member
I've been eyeing the AMD Athlon64 3500+, and now there are two, Winchester and Newcastle. The specs appear the same, but one is $100 or so more than the other. What gives? What makes one more than the other? I think the Newcastle was the more expensive, but I'm not sure.

The Winchester uses 90nm technology and should be more expensive. It runs cooler so its better for overclocking.

The Newcaste uses 130nm manufacturing process.

Make sure your motherboard supports the 90nm (Winchester) version because some of them don't without a BIOS flash!!! You have to flash the BIOS before you can use the CPU. So you will need another CPU to flash it. I am sure some guys can tell you if it will work.

The Winchester isn't much more than the Newcastle now.

Not sure if the motherboard I'm looking at supports 90nm or not, but I may wait another month before building, let SLI and PCI Express come out and let AGP prices come down a bit, plus I don't have all the money together... I'm looking at a few parts I'm hearing nothing but good things about, so it's worth it to wait and get everything right. Besides, only thing my laptop can't do is play games, and the form factor is rather limiting, it overheats, isn't good for a computer to be on 24/7, as I tend to run machines.

that motherboard does support the winchester core but it need the bios version 1.3 so make sure u get that other wise ul need a newcastle chip to flash it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom