win xp on two hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
I installed Windows XP on partitions on two sepearte hard drives. They are both connected to the same IDE cable. The first one (the main) is attached to the end and i designated it as master. I installed windows xp today on a parition of the second one, and it is connected to the middle connector of the second one and it is designated as slave.

when i booted up the machine, the second one, which is supposed to be the slave boots up. i had installed windows xp by removing the IDE connection from the first drive and then installing windows xp.
I thought it would boot up from the first one since it was not only the master but also connected to the end of the cable(does that make any difference ?)
why is this happening?

I also wanted to know how could i create a common bootloader for both the copies of OS in my system. could i add some special line in the boot.ini which would enable me to do that?

What you need to do is switch the boot order. Right-click My Computer click Propreties click the Advanced tab click Settings (under Startup and Recovery)! Change the default operating system to the correct one.

Click on Edit under that same window to edit the boot.ini file.

I have come up difference boot loaders for them since at installation i had ermoved the first drive to install the second.

and the same for the first drive, i had removed the second to install the first.

Hi
I tried that and when i went for the second partition it came back with a black screen with a 6 line error message :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom