Will this work to keep IDE Hard Drive off?/Mounting switches - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Will this work to keep IDE Hard Drive off?/Mounting switches

Will that work if only the "2nd" or Slave device is powered/running and it doesn't find the first one? I have 1 HD and 2 CD drives so in BIOS would it be "F" or something like "IDE Slave"?

Old 10-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfieldfalconsfan View Post
Will that work if only the "2nd" or Slave device is powered/running and it doesn't find the first one? I have 1 HD and 2 CD drives so in BIOS would it be "F" or something like "IDE Slave"?
It should if the motherboard is not extremely old.

It depends on your BIOS whether it is listed as 'F' or 'Slave' (older BIOS'es may use drive letters). You should just try all of them and see if it boots from the right disk.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Techie

I messed around for a while and found out something. If I have the 2nd hard drive plugged into the slave part of the cable and have the jumper settings on anything but, have the master end plugged in the other hard drive then the hard drive runs constantly. I think I will just get 1 of the switches mentioned at the being of the thread and when I want to use that one I will turn in on and have to go in BIOS and boot from it.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Closed Thread