Will this work...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superslug

Solid State Member
Heya, you've prolly heard this question 1000 times before but here goes.
I currnetly have a P2 with Windows XP, Ive just bought a new pooter which has no operating system installed.
I intended to do a straight swap with the HD's, but the guy in the shop told me it wouldnt work becase the HD is going from a Pentium 233 to an AMD 2200.
Is this true? Or is he trying to sell me something I dunno what?
He said I would have driver issues? I dunno, any ideas anyone?
Cheers :)

try it and see.
if it is able to boot, windows XP will install correct drivers.
if it doesn't boot, and you are sure it has been installed correctly then you have your answer.

in other words, it may not work but it's worth a shot...

Yeah thats what I said to the guy in the shop. I thought Windows had the drivers in there and would sort itself out. But he seemed to think I would need to reinstall.
I'll give it a go anyway, as long as it doesnt mess up my HD....

there's a bit more to it than that... and yes Windows would have drivers for a large list of CPU's however if it's looking for one CPU durring the boot process and it's not there, chances are it won't work as it's not booted up yet and "can't think" clear enough to install new drivers...

no it won't mess up the HD to try it... as long as you correctly install it... it just won't boot... then take it out and you're fine. ;)
~Ken

edit**
i'm willing to bet it won't work, but you may get lucky.

The computer-shop guy is correct. You'll run into problems. The PII does not handle like the P4's. Not to mention that you'd be screwing yourself doing that because you'd be messing things up and be lacking technologies that your new proc could utilize.

superslug said:
Dammit, I just wanted to boot & go, now Im gonna have a lengthy installation process :(

yup...
sorry, but that's the way it goes.
welcome to my world... i fix that kind of stuff, and do those lengthy installation processes for a living.!

i'd say in your situation it may work 1 out of 50 times, and if it does, you would still have to reinstall windows on top of the old one...

just wondering if he tried to put the old hd in new computer and installed via repair option on winxp disk? would it recognize the new hardware and go from there?

Plus the old hard drive still contains elements from the registry of the P2 machine. Since you will problably have to intall an OS on your computer anyway, just use the old hard drive as a second drive.

m3incorp said:
Plus the old hard drive still contains elements from the registry of the P2 machine. Since you will problably have to intall an OS on your computer anyway, just use the old hard drive as a second drive.

yup
very true.

Well, if he slaves the RAID stack to his machine (using a seperate HDD as the master stack) then it won't matter about the differing registry on the RAID, since no OS will be grabbing for that. However, if he wants to put this RAID stack in as the primary (with the OS) he'll have problems.

Backup, reformat, install like new. That's your safest, best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom