Will there be many next gen agp cards? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Will there be many next gen agp cards?

I built a new computer with a mobo that used agp cuz I wanted to use my old radeon 9200 video card, but now I want to upgraded and I was wondering if I should cut my loses and buy a new mobo with Pci-e or if there are going to be good agp cards coming out? Secondly will the agp cards be a lot more expensive that their Pci-e counterpart? I was thinking of spending about 400.00 Cad on a new card sometime in oct or dec.

Old 06-15-2005, 06:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

right now, AGP cards are cheaper than PCIE... the next gen cards will be for AGP, i'm pretty sure..

Old 06-15-2005, 06:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Well I dunno if some AGP cards are cheaper but the evga 6600GT card at tigerdirect.ca is cheaper in PCI-e than AGP, but its good to know that they will make agp cards. So does anyone know if 400 Cad will buy a decent card?
Old 06-15-2005, 06:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Yes, they will make agp cards for 1-2 more years. This is because only a certain percentage of people have pci-e slots, and the video card makers do not want to lose the agp market. However, once more people get new computers, the video card makers will stop making agp cards.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I think they'll make them longer than 2 more years. Only a portion of people have PCI-Express motherboards. And when you think about it, when you upgrade, you upgrade the motherboard last pretty much. People are still going to need those AGP cards for their older motherboards (which right now are still pretty new). I'd say they'll make them for another four years at least. And even after that, AGP will not just die. Look how long it took PCI to die?
2 GB DDR 400 (PC 3200) (2 x 1 GB sticks) (Dual Channel)
DVD player and seperate DVD RW drive
Floppy Drive
80 GB Western Digital Hard Drive
500 watt power supply
Sound Blaster Audigy
Logitech 5.1 surround sound speakers
SAMSUNG SyncMaster 710T LCD monitor
Aspire X Navigator Case
Old 06-15-2005, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Only gamers would want the latest video cards(professional video editors or whatever might want it too). They tend to build new computers often(like 2-3 years per computer). Pci-e has been out for one year. In 2 years, many gamers will have upgraded and have gotten pci-e. Sure, there will still be agp ards, but those cards will only be the old ones. Newer cards will not be made for agp.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

DFI finally released their Socket 939 AGP board......and I have a good OC'd 6800GT......so that'll definitely last me a while....then the next upgrade will no doubt me, mobo, PCI-E card, and more than likely I'll need a new PSU as well.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

The newest cards will be PCIE native, so the AGP versions will be using bridge chips. This will make the AGP cards more expensive.

-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchestor
-MSI K8N Neo4-F
-Sapphire Radeon X850 XT
-2x 1024 Corsair XMS Pro

<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value="Search!"></form> Search TF before you post!
Old 06-15-2005, 10:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I just want to thank you all for your info. I gess ill stick with agp for my next video card and then in a couple of year upgrade to pci-e.

Closed Thread