Will a system run BIOS without ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazybeans

In Runtime
Hey all,

I am in the process of purchasing a new computer. I currently have the case, motherboard (ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe), P4 2.8Ghz 800mhz FSB, Video Card (GeForce FX 5700), No RAM, No HDDs, No FDs and a PSU. With these components I would like to check to make sure my current equipment is actually working, i.e. the CPU. When I hook it all up and turn on the system, with the video card installed, I get the audio POST beeps (1 long, 2 short) indicating video failure. I am wondering if this is because I do not have the ram installed yet? The video card is supported by the motherboard which uses 1.5v AGP 3.0 so I don't know why it's not working. Any help will be greatly appriciated, thanks in advance!

Thanks, I thought it was the RAM, although I'm pretty sure the one long, two short is a video failure. I'll just wait on the RAM to come in. I thought that the onboard memory might be enough to load the BIOS considering it's only around a megabyte. Guess I was wrong :p

Just to clear that last post up. A memory error is continuous beeps. I believe since the video card check is the first to take place during POST that would explain the (1 long, 2 short) video card beeps. Man I hate being on a budget :p

yeah, I even tried another video card that I know works as well. It is either the motherboard AGP slot or possibly the RAM as we discussed earlier. Hoping when I slap some RAM in there it will all be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom