Will a system run BIOS without ram? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Will a system run BIOS without ram?

Hey all,

I am in the process of purchasing a new computer. I currently have the case, motherboard (ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe), P4 2.8Ghz 800mhz FSB, Video Card (GeForce FX 5700), No RAM, No HDDs, No FDs and a PSU. With these components I would like to check to make sure my current equipment is actually working, i.e. the CPU. When I hook it all up and turn on the system, with the video card installed, I get the audio POST beeps (1 long, 2 short) indicating video failure. I am wondering if this is because I do not have the ram installed yet? The video card is supported by the motherboard which uses 1.5v AGP 3.0 so I don't know why it's not working. Any help will be greatly appriciated, thanks in advance!

Come visit a new technology and digital image arena website where you may compete in monthly image contests and chat about technology. t3ch.l33t is currently searching for members to help manage different areas of the site. t3ch.l33t Image Arena Home

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ch_l33tsig.jpg
Old 07-17-2004, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

No, BIOS will not run without ram, from what I've experienced.

Old 07-17-2004, 09:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I dont think you can start the pc up with no ram, and no hd
1GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows XP/Mac OSX 10.5

No longer a Guru of games...
Old 07-17-2004, 11:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

the RAM is where everything is 'loaded' and without it having the capacity to load things, not even the BIOS will run
Old 07-18-2004, 12:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks, I thought it was the RAM, although I'm pretty sure the one long, two short is a video failure. I'll just wait on the RAM to come in. I thought that the onboard memory might be enough to load the BIOS considering it's only around a megabyte. Guess I was wrong :P
Come visit a new technology and digital image arena website where you may compete in monthly image contests and chat about technology. t3ch.l33t is currently searching for members to help manage different areas of the site. t3ch.l33t Image Arena Home

Old 07-18-2004, 12:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Just to clear that last post up. A memory error is continuous beeps. I believe since the video card check is the first to take place during POST that would explain the (1 long, 2 short) video card beeps. Man I hate being on a budget :P

Old 07-18-2004, 12:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

is the video card seated correctly, and the monitor cable is put in right?
it's always the little things that cause the biggest problems
Old 07-18-2004, 04:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

yeah, I even tried another video card that I know works as well. It is either the motherboard AGP slot or possibly the RAM as we discussed earlier. Hoping when I slap some RAM in there it will all be good.

Closed Thread