Will this system play older games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzatheHut06

Daemon Poster
I just built a system for basic functions, and maybe some occasional gaming. I'm not talking about Far Cry, or Doom 3, or Half Life 2. I mean old games that my friends and I play like Black Hawk Down or something similar. Here she be:

CPU- AMD Athlon XP 2500+
RAM- 512 MB DDR Corsair XMS PC3200
Motherboard- Asus A7N8X-X
Hard Drive- Western Digital 80 GB 7200 RPM IDE
Video Card- PNY GeForce FX5200 128MB
CD Drive- Sony 52x32x52
Case- Antec 350W
Floppy- Sony Floppy (they're all the same )

Will this run those older games well, not on 800x600, but on med-high settings? I know the video card is dated, but I'm on a budget and won't be doing any hardcore gaming. Thanks in advance.

Oughta be great, can't think of any reasons why it won't. Download the patches for the games, though. Some were made before GeForce FX came out and are incompatible.

Thank you for your replies. What about Call of Duty or one of the Medal of Honor games? I apologize for the myriad of quesitons but I don't know too much about gaming.

i am not a gamer as well :)

just played Age of Empires and Age of Mythology in past :)

I compare performances of systems on Adobe Photoshop, as I'm phoptoshop user, and it requires a very strong system as equal as a good gaming PC does, so urs can effectively rin Adobe PS, so I said yes it can play games.

No need to worry PizzatheHut06, i can use my GeForce4MX440 to play Far cry, so do u.

MicroBell said:
System wise...your fine. If your running XP though...you may want to consider setting up a dual boot system..as XP simply won't run older DOS and Windows 95 games...even in compatibility mode.

I had about 15 older DOS/95 games that would not run in XP......but have since set up a XP/98 dual boot and have no issues.

But...who plays 15 year old games?? :D

some of the older games I play are fun. however most games you're mentioning will run in XP just fine. Hell, you can even play doom3 on that one. Most of the problems you're gonna have has more to do with os and, considering the age of the games your talking about, you're hardware pretty much wont be an issue. You may need to get program to slow the system on older games. Something like mo'slo would do fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom