Will this PSU work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerfootball05

In Runtime
OK i have a semi-crappy PSU that came with my case and is 400w with 18 Amps on the 12V rail. I was wondering if it would work with my set-up FOR TWO WEEKS OR LESS. I think it will work but the only ploblem is that it is 20 pin and my mobo is 24 pin but i heard 20 pin will still work just without sound or something. I know i will need to get another one soon but i just wanted to boot everything up and see how it all works and maybe play newly bought HL2. Thanks for the help.

i'm risking it because im an impatient whore! I dont want to wait 2 weeks for my other PSU to come in when the whole rig is already built for the most part. I want to set up the BIOS, install windows, etc..

i set up my bios, ran windows, and played a ittle farcry with a 20pin PSU

if you're gonna run your comp on a 20pin psu for two weeks, it's ok, but you're still gonna need that 24pin psu

Yeah i just bought this one which i'm pretty confident about but I literally JUST ordered it so it wont be a week until i get it. I think i'm still gonna try booting BIOS and windows and stuff sometime this week though. Probably wont be able to play HL@ until that PSU comes in just because i'm busy this week with prom.

the 20pin psu i used was also 18A@12V

in fact the rosewill will work perfectly fine, but if i were you i wouldn't risk it

also, 430W is pretty low, should went for 500jus in case, but anywho, 430 will work fine

You should be fine with a 20 pin PSU for a while, but it is a good idea to replace the PSU as soon as you can. The extra four pins serve as a ground for the 3.3v, 5v, and 12v rail so to speak, specifically because exisiting 20 pin connections only have one 12v connector, and the added strain on that rail from PCI-E cards results in that pin burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom