Will my gaming computer work with these specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dark Lord

Baseband Member
I have an amd athlon xp 2600+, 450 watt power, and 512 ram, there is more but I won't go to in depth
and I plan to get an Nvidia 6600 or higher

I want to know if my computer will be able to run games like lego star wars, the normal star wars, doom3, or other newer games around this level...

the reason I ask is that I want to buy the 6600 but I don't know if it is worth it with what I have to work with

Well what kind of motherboard are you using? What type of ram is that aswell? Dont buy a 6600 get a 6800gt from eVGA and your ram and processor are lacking for doom 3, the best way to tell is look at recommended system requirements and get your comp to beat it

It won't be bottle necked too much, but it would be a bit. If you get a 6600, make sure it is the gt version though. Anything more than a 6600gt would be a waste of money.

I say get it, a well worth the money upgrade.

Adding anouther 512 would be a good upgrade, but that is for the future if you have the money to do a quick cheao upgrade.

Tbh. the processor is still very modern, you could always do a little overclock.

I have just bought a 6600GT, it arrived today...

Im very impressed with it, runs doom 3 pretty good (although d3 is still a poo game)

I would not buy anything better than a 6600GT with you current specs...

paying $400 for a video card is a waste of money. for example, almost NOBODY uses a 9700 Pro anymore, and those were friggin expensive! at the time, people could still get awesome performance with a 9500 Pro and only have to drop about $200.

i say, spend $200 now, and get a current generation 6600GT and later buy a next generation 7x00 for another $200 that way, people will be able to keep up with the new software, and you don't spend $400 now and get shanked in a year when you won't have the money to buy a new videogard that will be able to keep up with the new games.

Gigabyte Nvidia 6600GT $199.99 500/1000mhz 8 pipelines
Leadtek Nvidia 6800GT $299.99 350/1000mhz 16 pipelines (will overclock to 425/1100 no prob)

Prices are new egg prices

evga 6600gt has a $15 rebate this month for newegg. I say go for it whilw its cheap. You can upgrade RAM and Processor later if u have cash and 6600GT will still be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom