Will a magnet erase my hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No a strong magnet will not affect the drive. It might affect the read/write head but the data will still be there. Use KillDisk.

yea, i don't think a magnet would do much... maybe an electric magnet (and a pretty powerful one might mess everything up but still it would prob not wipe the hdd.

A EMP would kill all the boards in there and render the PC useless. :p

^i don't think it would kill the boards, the pc would still be able to run... the psu might be damaged(that might result in some more damage).

Also the monitor went pwety coworz
some one did that in our art class, but all you have to do is degause the monitor and it goes away, the teacher didnt beleive me when i told him, he did it and was suprised and thanked me for the tip after lol.
just reformat your hard drive tho, mixing magnets and electronics is a big no/no you can do soem severe damage, i wanted to build a sub woofer computer case, but i found out the magnet in the speaker would kill the components.

some one did that in our art class, but all you have to do is degause the monitor and it goes away, the teacher didnt beleive me when i told him, he did it and was suprised and thanked me for the tip after lol.
just reformat your hard drive tho, mixing magnets and electronics is a big no/no you can do soem severe damage, i wanted to build a sub woofer computer case, but i found out the magnet in the speaker would kill the components.

Friend that lives in another state of me found that out the hard way... He had his guitar amp sitting by his computer, and he started playing his guitar...yeah, his computer wouldn't boot up. He ended up just getting a new computer.

a very powerful magnet will wipe a hdd, but I mean very, any magnet you get your hands on is more than like not going to do anything - or at most damage the mechanism of the hdd but not wipe the actual platter.

^i don't think it would kill the boards, the pc would still be able to run... the psu might be damaged(that might result in some more damage).

Luke a EMP will destroy any electric device, totally screw it up make it unusable. A EMP is generated a number of ways but mostly associated with a atomic blast from a nuclear weapon. That is why most Military electronic devices are shielded in some way.

Think of it like a static discharge but on a much much larger scale.

^i know what an emp. an emp disrupts and flow of electrical power so if the computer was on it would probably screw it to heck but if it was off it would be fne (but like i said the psu would probably need replacing seeing as when it's off it still has eletricity in it.) also when a nuclear weapon is detonated it does generate an emp following the explosion but the emp would not extend further then the blast...and considering there would be no electrical devices in it's blast radious there would be no devices effected.

^i know what an emp. an emp disrupts and flow of electrical power so if the computer was on it would probably screw it to heck but if it was off it would be fne (but like i said the psu would probably need replacing seeing as when it's off it still has eletricity in it.) also when a nuclear weapon is detonated it does generate an emp following the explosion but the emp would not extend further then the blast...and considering there would be no electrical devices in it's blast radious there would be no devices effected.

the internet cant be affected by an emp tho! it was created for the purpose to be able to comunicate incase of a nuclear fallout. anyway it is very unlikely to suffer from an emp blast, and the emp spreads out much farther then the blas from the nuclear explosion does btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom