Wierd problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2004, 12:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Wierd problem

Im having a weird problem with a computer im rebuilding.
It is an athalon 1700XP+ AK77pro mb and 256mb pc2100

I boot it up and all is working fine, then it randomly shuts off within the first minute or so. It then will not power back on unless I unplug it completely. the ram is brand new but the mb and proc have been sitting in an anti-static bag for about a year or so. Im wondering if it is possibly dust... Ive cleaned the mb off with an air can (but havent gotten down n dirty with a qtip and some alcohol yet!!). I know that its not the power supply as I have switched 2 spares out on it and the condidtion remains consistant. Ive switched a few video cards out as well so thats not it either. I poped an old 1400XP in there and same thing, so im sure the proc is good. possibly the mb, but due to it's proper storage im pretty sure thats good as well... the system boots up ya know...

Any suggestions? has this happened to anyone else? I dont want to trash anything unless im completly sure that its toast.

Old 02-01-2004, 12:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Is the pro fan working ? also is the cpu locked down rite ?

Square thing
With Lotsa wires & Thingy\'s
Old 02-01-2004, 02:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

From what your describing, if it's not your MOBO, it might be a heating problem. Is your CPU fan installed correctly and working?
Try putting new heatpaste (arctic silver) between heat sink and CPU. Are all other fans working (video card and case fan if any)?
If your fans aren't spinning, they might simply be connected improperly.
My gaming machine:

P4 2.8 GHz
2 X 512 MHz PC3200 in dual DDR mode
integrated 6.1 MAX audio
Logitech duo MX mouse and KB
Old 02-01-2004, 07:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

make sure your CPU is seated properly the heatsink is properly installed and your CPU fan is working .If your using Rambus memory you need to study your manual for the proper config.If you fill all the slots with Dimms then you dont need to worry ,if you use only 2 then you need to
use the C-rimms( for Rambus only ) in the proper sequence for your mobo.
Even regular SD-ram , DDR has to be in the correct slots if all the slots are not filled .
Thermaltake Armor A90
Corsair HX1000W PS
i7 2600k / Cooler Master Hyper N 520
Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Gen 3
8 GIG Corsair Vengeance
eVGA GTX 570
SB Audigy2 Platinum
Kingston Hyper X120 SSD
WIN 7 - 64b
LG Blue Ray Super Multi Burrner
Logitech THX Z560
3x120mm - 1x200 mm case fans