Wierd problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmartoncik

Beta member
Im having a weird problem with a computer im rebuilding.
It is an athalon 1700XP+ AK77pro mb and 256mb pc2100

I boot it up and all is working fine, then it randomly shuts off within the first minute or so. It then will not power back on unless I unplug it completely. the ram is brand new but the mb and proc have been sitting in an anti-static bag for about a year or so. Im wondering if it is possibly dust... Ive cleaned the mb off with an air can (but havent gotten down n dirty with a qtip and some alcohol yet!!). I know that its not the power supply as I have switched 2 spares out on it and the condidtion remains consistant. Ive switched a few video cards out as well so thats not it either. I poped an old 1400XP in there and same thing, so im sure the proc is good. possibly the mb, but due to it's proper storage im pretty sure thats good as well... the system boots up ya know...

Any suggestions? has this happened to anyone else? I dont want to trash anything unless im completly sure that its toast.

From what your describing, if it's not your MOBO, it might be a heating problem. Is your CPU fan installed correctly and working?
Try putting new heatpaste (arctic silver) between heat sink and CPU. Are all other fans working (video card and case fan if any)?
If your fans aren't spinning, they might simply be connected improperly.

make sure your CPU is seated properly the heatsink is properly installed and your CPU fan is working .If your using Rambus memory you need to study your manual for the proper config.If you fill all the slots with Dimms then you dont need to worry ,if you use only 2 then you need to
use the C-rimms( for Rambus only ) in the proper sequence for your mobo.
Even regular SD-ram , DDR has to be in the correct slots if all the slots are not filled .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom