Wierd problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lockfinn

Beta member
So my computer was running fine (specs at the end) until it started randomly freezing up. I assumed it was just a glitch and restarted it. The screen went blank (light on the monitor changed back to orange, it does this when idle) and it did not give me any beep codes. Also, it doesn't give the normal beeps when booting up. If I leave it alone for a while it will boot up. The CPU is at 60 degrees Celsius, is this high?

The heat sink is firmly seated and the fan is running. Any idea what could be causing this? There is arctic silver b/t the heat sink and the processor. Also, the fan was making a wierd clicking noise a few days ago and when it started but it seemed to have been running fine other than that.

You may want to unhook your tower and clean it out. Buy a can of compressed air (you can even get it at WallyWorld) and blow it out really good.

Remove the fan from the heatsink and blow both it and the heatsink out really good. DO NOT remove the heatsink itself, just the fan. Odds are you've got a pile of dust in there.

That should help.

You may also want to go into your BIOS and see what speed your fan is running. With a 1600+, your computer is probably too old to have speed-controlled fans. See what the BIOS says its RPMs are.

In addition to what Trotter said, you may have wire cluster (although if you built it yourself, I'm assuming you twisty-tied the wires out of the way, right?). Also 60* is VERY high, I load at 43*. Idle ~35*. Do you have just the stock heatsink, and no case fan? A single 80mm case fan goes a long way. If you don't have a single fan, two might possibly shave up to 10* off.

I have 2 80mm case fans, plus 1 120mm and a smaller one in the front (not sure the dimensions). I'll try the cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom