wi-fi PCI card doesn't fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankenstein

Solid State Member
OK, I am positive this is a newb question but I am stuck and I need some advice. I bought a new wireless card at best buy and tried to install it in my p6t. For whatever reason, the bracket is stopping it from going into the slot. So, just to test it out, I unscrewed the bracket and put it in. The computer didn't recognize it and I did not receive on screen instructions like the instructions said I would. I don't believe that the p6t has on board wireless but I am right about 60% of the time:).

This is my card

NETGEAR - 802.11g Wireless Desktop Card - WG311

I have a p6t and a antec 1200.

Thanks

I don't quite see what you mean... I don't understand how it can't fit. You are putting it in a PCI slot, not a PCI-E slot, right?

Pictures please, if possible.

pci slots are marked. p6t does not have onboard wireless. Sorry for the crappy paint skills.

Attachments

• pci.jpg
    pci.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,772
Hopefully this explains it better.

Concern/issue #1: The PCI slot is divided into two sections, whereas the connectors on the Wireless card are divided into three sections. The card can theoretically fit, but I would think that the card and PCI would match up perfectly 3 and 3.

Concern/issue #2: When I tried to insert the Wireless card, I was not able to line it up perfectly (see picture 3). The card itself will line up without the bracket that attaches it to the case, but with the bracket the card is off by about a millimeter. So, what I did was remove the bracket and attach the card without it.

Concern/Issue #3: When I attached the card (without the bracket), nothing happened. I was expecting the computer to recognize and display on-screen instructions for setting up the card.

I am under the impression I might be able to use a Wireless USB adapter instead and avoid the whole problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

3824700286_8991c4e6b7.jpg

3824700576_bea475cc50.jpg

3824700876_4d6e17ae86.jpg

3823908053_e8b881a70d.jpg

Concern/Issue #3: When I attached the card (without the bracket), nothing happened. I was expecting the computer to recognize and display on-screen instructions for setting up the card.

That makes it sound like you had the PC on when you put the card in.

What you are doing is correct and it looks like it will go in with a bit of persuasion. Don't worry about the missing plastic tooth.

umm, just push it in.

The pc never recognized it because you never inserted the card, its just sitting on top of the slot.

The gold contacts showing means its not fully inserted.....

umm, just push it in.

The pc never recognized it because you never inserted the card, its just sitting on top of the slot.

The gold contacts showing means its not fully inserted.....

+ 1

And don't try it when the PC is on (just saying.)

#1 - doesn't matter about how many times it is divided, as long as it is PCI.
#2 - it won't line up perfectly, you have to 'rock' it in from front to back. Put the back side of the card in first then rock it forward while firmly inserting the gold connectors into the PCI slot. DO NOT rock it side to side but front to back
#3 - DO NOT do this while the PC is on. If you've inserted the card fully and in the right slot windows will recognize a new device (unless you have an OS older than 2000)

Sometimes where the "bracket" fits there will be a tiny bent piece of metal at the bottom that acts like a spring, and sometimes it seems to kinda get in the way a bit and feels wrong, but just make sure the slot is lined up and push (fairly hard, like with RAM). I wouldnt think that it wouldnt fit (sorry double neg) unless....well no, Im sure they didnt let the boards out with the PCI in the wrong place.....LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom