Why is there only 512k catch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I depends on the core you are looking at. If you are looking at a Newcastle core, it will only have 512K cache but it will be 2.2GHz. The Clawhammer core will have 1MB cache, but are only 2.0GHz. Clawhammers don't overclock worth crap, so don't consider that. Its really personal preference, as you will see similar performance from both cores.

ohGrFreak said:
cache, cache. and isn't almost any chip overclockable, if not by much, also depending on the mobo and other hardware. what system do you plan to put this chip in?

Any chips are overclockable, but once you push the Clawhammer past 2.15GHz (stock is 2 GHz), you start having problems, at least with the Asus K8V mobo.

They made a mistake. The AMD Athlon64 3200+ has 1024 Kb of cache (L2).

agex000 said:
They made a mistake. The AMD Athlon64 3200+ has 1024 Kb of cache (L2).

Like I said above, it depends on what core you get. The Clawhammer has 1024K while the Newcastle only has 512K. With the Newcastle though the stock speed is 2.2GHz while its only 2GHz with the Clawhammer, so you get the same amount of performance no matter what you get.

beedubaya said:
Like I said above, it depends on what core you get. The Clawhammer has 1024K while the Newcastle only has 512K. With the Newcastle though the stock speed is 2.2GHz while its only 2GHz with the Clawhammer, so you get the same amount of performance no matter what you get.
he's right there

Clawhammer: 2.0GHZ with 1024KB (1MB) cache
Newcastle: 2.2GHZ with 512KB cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom