Why is a socket 939 cpu with 1.8ghz and 512kb of cache a amd 3000+?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I really think TF should make some sort of hardware FAQ and update it monthly or something like that, I'm sure many members with the right know how would be willing to donate their time...

Anyways, the big difference between the two sockets is compatability. Socket 754 is basically discontinued as of now, so the CPUs you see on the market now are the only ones you will ever see. Basically, if you want to be able to upgrade in the future, then socket 939 is the way to go.

Socket 939 also uses hypertransport technology speeds at 2000mhz, whereas socket 754 hypertransport is only 1600mhz. The only other big difference is socket 939 is dual channel compatible, and socket 743 is not.

They will start to make clawhammers for 939. So its not like your not going to see 1mb cache 939s. Winchesters are now out, shortly after that you will start to see clawhammers.

Clawhammers are an old core and most of them (if not all) offer a 1 meg cache

The newcastle's & winnie's are still faster though

The difference between the 939 and 754 is that the 939 is newer technolagy, upgradeable, runs dual channel ram. The 754 (the one you linked to) is a notebook chip too I believe, as it doesnt have the normal heat spreader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom