Why should someone go with a 939 over a 754?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I could afford to go 939 board and cpu with dual channel... I hate being poor...

But then again now that I think about it a little deeper.. why the hell do I need that anyways.. my 2400xp serves me fine with daily computer usage... and occasionally some online games...

Okay, I just came back from the AMD Marketing Seminar.

A few things that you might be interested is as follows :-

SOCKET 754 will be around for at least another 2 years (and then some). Socket 754 will be used mainly for the Semperon Processor. AMD has no interest in producting SKT 939 Semperon unless there is a demand for them.

SOCKET 939 - Mainly there for people that want a performance system. The exciting this will be 2nd half of 2005 when the dual core CPUs it the market. The good thing is that for all those peope with existing SKT 939 systems, you will only need to upgrade your BIOS in order to install the DUAL CORE CPU.
This will work for Windows XP Pro. I am not sure if Windows XP Home will allow it.
Next month AMD will be bringing out ATHLON 64-BIT 3000 SKT 939 will hitting the market. I just wish they did this about 6 months ago.

SOCKET A - Will be phased out all together by the 3rd quarter of the year.

DDR2 Ram - AMD will not be doing motherboard with DDR2 ram slot until the price of DDR2@677 comes down to a price that DDR@400 is currently at.
This is not going to happen any time soon.

charles_scott said:
Going a little off-topic here, but is that avvy a pic of Harper on andromeda???? Grr i can never spell that show right...
Yup. that is Harper from Andromeda . Even though the current season has been a bit of a drag, I still like it for the previous seasons.
ingeborgdot said:
I was planning on asus a8v but several on another board said it is buggy. Anyone care to comment.
Asus used to be good.... I can not say I have been impressed with Asus in the last few years.
I work in an computer store, and I have had too many of them come back.

I would recomend Gigabyte, MSI or A-bit.
(Reason why I don't do A-Bit is that i don't like the current distributor)
My personal favorite is Gigabyte.

You going Socket 754 or Socket 939?

I would wait 2 more weeks before purchase your motherboard for your PC as alot of the vendors will be bringing in some new and existing stuff really soon.

Forget about going for some thing with AGP. If you are going to get a new computer, it's better getting some thing with current technology.

the Gigabyte K8NF-9 is a single PCI-E 16x slot board, good value if you want PCI-E but not SLI

the Abit AV8 and AV8 3rd eye are good AGP 8x boards

the DFI Lanparty socket 939 board is for SLI, not exactly cheap but it's worth the money

Socket 939 also has a 2GHZ HTT (sort of what a FSB is, except Athlon 64's technically don't have one)

I would say they will keep socket 939 for quite a while. after all, look how long they kept Socket A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom