Why p4s run cooler than athlon xps - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2003, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to neb1211 Send a message via Yahoo to neb1211
Talking Why p4s run cooler than athlon xps

I have heard many people say that intel processors run cooler than amd processors. I recently bought a p4 2.6ghz (not because they run cooler cuz that would be stupid) and i figured out why this is true. If amd were to include as big of heatsink as intel included with a p4 athlon xps would run a lot cooler. Intels's stock heatsinks are HUGE compared to amd's heatsinks. I just thought that i would share this with everyone.

~ Nick
Owner of Maximum CPU and MaxCPU Hosting
Old 04-17-2003, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Thumbs up

you learn something new every day

Old 04-17-2003, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

It doesn't really matter the size of the HS or the amount of fins it has... only as long as it cools the CPU effectively... I've seen some 'less-fancy' HSF's cool better than fancy, bigger ones.

And if anyone bothers using the stock AMD cooler, best to scrape off the 'chewing-gum-like' thermal pad and use some paste (preferably AS3) instead... also case cooling is an important factor... even the best HSF out there is not gonna do well in a case with absymal airflow.
Martin's Page of Stuff

I judge you when you use poor grammar.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Yes.. I have a crazy huge Volcano 9 on my AMD... but it is also true that if you take the heatsinks off of both a p4 and an AMD the AMD will generally fry faster, so there is some truth to the fact that AMDs run a bit hotter than the p4s.
Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for at its end lay madness and chaos.

-Shroud, CCNA, MCP

Old 04-20-2003, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to h4x0r

P4 is made to run safe, It could be over clocked a whole lot. on the other hand, Athlon (all AMD) are already over clocked, running less stably, makin it hotter. Try takin the heat sink off a Athlon and fry's in about 2 sec.
Closed Thread