why only 137gb

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcr9521

Baseband Member
I recently purchased a 250gb Maxtor hd. I installed it but when i go to the properties of it, it says that it is only 137gb. Is there some program that i can get so it will recognize the entire hd? By the way I am running XP pro. Any help is appreciated.

I think that Windows has a fix for that issue. Try running Windows Update and install ALL the latest updates :)

-Dan The Man

You need to install Service Pack 1 for Windows XP to add support for hard drives greater than 137 GB binary and Service Pack 3 for Windows 2000. And, you should get a support drive that will add support for the os.

Or if you dont want to update windows use fdisk or gdisk to create your partitions and format it inside windows.

OIDanTheManIO said:
I think that Windows has a fix for that issue. Try running Windows Update and install ALL the latest updates :)

-Dan The Man

Go ahead and install Sp2;), this will make your hard drive a 20gb. :p

Well the copy of windows that i have isn't exactly legal so i was wondering if there was another way i could go about it.

you can download fdisk on bootdisk.com. gdisk comes with norton ghost. either partitioning utility will work

hmm i had the same problem with my new Maxtor 250. I posted on here and the guy (forget who) told me to go to somethin in my run box. then it detected my missing gigs and i formatted it and made a new partition and it works great now. This was after I installed sp1 and 2, and its fine so. But i believe you need to do SP1 first, it wont hurt anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom