Originally posted by runescaper
i decided to put a whole new thing together, might as well have 2 computers. I got this list together of things am planning to use.
1. Case: Just 4 PC - Beige Mid-Tower Case with AMD Approved and Intel Pentium 4 Ready 425 Watt Power Supply
2. Motherboard: Soyo - P4I 845PE Lite - Socket 478 ATX Motherboard with Audio, AGP, USB and 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN Support
3. Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 2.20Ghz / 512k Cache / 400FSB / Socket 478 / Processor
4. Memory: Corsair Value Select 512MB PC2700 DDR 333MHz Memory
5. Storage: Maxtor 80GB / 7200 / 2MB / 8.0 / ATA-133 EIDE Hard Drive
6. Optical Devices: Artec Beige 52x24x52x IDE Internal CD-RW Drive with Nero Burning Software
-Processor: Ultra Aluminum Socket 478 up to P4 2.8GHz CPU Cooling Fan (CAD $20.99)
-Hard drive: Speeze Hard Drive Cooler Fan fits 3.5" Drives (CAD $8.99)
-Case: Speeze 80mm Case Fan (CAD $6.99)
-Memory: Ultra Memory Aluminum Cooler (DDR or SDRAM) (CAD $9.99)
8. Input devices : I would shop around town, could get em cheap.
9. Monitor: A good CRT lives in my basement
10. Video Card: Connect3D Radeon 9200se 128MB DDR AGP with TV-Out Video Card
GRAND TOTAL IS : CAD $659.78 (around US $494)
is it worth it going through the trouble? coz am really looking forward to a good project.
and please feel free to make suggestions and point out any incompatablilties.
1) a case is a case, 425w should be plenty
2) y go with such an old chipset? get one of the new 865 or 875 chipsets, youll be much happier
3) im not sure on the exchange rate, but you can get the 2.8GHz P4 @ 800MHz (FSB) for only $200
4) get a 1GB kit, you can get one for around $170 (PC3200 DDR400)
5) most of the new chipsets have SATA which is much faster, but that drives not bad
6) my fav drives (which I have never had trouble with) are the LITE-ONs
7)wouldnt worry too much about memory or HDD cooling, because if you have at least 2 case fans (+ PSU & CPU fans ) you should be fine, also if you buy a retail version of the P4 chip, you get their heatsink and fan, + a 3YR warranty
8) best buy or something like that for those, theyre too cheap
9) easy one, just keep the CRT lol
10) nice video card
these are all from my personal experience, you will be much happier if you buy the better parts now