Why are keyboards required for boot?

BrainFRZ

Solid State Member
This is more a question out of idle curiosity than anything else. I was told keyboards were always required for boot, and you'd get boot errors if one wasn't plugged in. I did some research as to why, and it's my understanding that keyboards are required because of the built-in keyboard controller, which is always linked to IR1, and IR1 can never be changed. (Please let me know if that's wrong.) But I still don't understand why that's still the case. Back when computers were first designed, I can understand how keyboards were often the only real means of input. However, with all the other means of input and such out there today (not to mention terminals that run off a server in the back like in a grocery store), I'd think a computer could run just fine without one. They could use just a touch screen like tablets and smartphones do, especially with the new Win8 machines. Or it could be controlled solely by the mouse, especially depending on what it's being used for, or if there was an on-screen keyboard if necessary. Although I know the voice technology isn't all that great at the moment (hello, Siri!), but even this could be a possible input. I'm not saying, a keyboard isn't great to have, but I don't understand why it's required for boot. RAM isn't even required! You can't get past the RAM check to load the OS, but at least it'll boot up. Is it just a sake of tradition, failsafe incase the other input devices stop working, or something to do with the minimalism of safe mode? Or am I missing something?

BIOS uses basic hardware interfacing (hence the name, Basic Input Output System). You can usually disable the check for keyboards in most motherboard BIOS's nowadays to not stop on keyboard error.

Back
Top Bottom