Why Do You Need More Than 6GB of Memory? - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to wafflehammer
Default Re: Why Do You Need More Than 6GB of Memory?

Originally Posted by solidsteve View Post
i personally think that 4gb for a home pc is slight over what is needed, as in games, internet, video and so on but i can see 6gb - 12gb - 24gb creeping into workstations for the program's that will use it

5-6 years ago i had a pc put together that had 512mb of ram and a ATI Radon 9600 in there as well but the time came that games needed more (oblivion at the time) so 4gb should shoo away some of these ram hogs for a few years to come
eh i dunno about that. I think with DDR3 becoming a norm 6gb is slowly becoming the new norm. I was playing farcry 2 a couple days ago and my computer kept warning me of low memory because it was using 81% of my RAM (that's around 4.8gb) so having 6gb helped I guess :\(could of been a memory leak though :| that game isn't exactly perfect lol )

but i guess to answer the main question..i don't think you need over 6gb unless you're running a lot of stuff that loves RAM but even then for a home PC 12gb should be more than plenty

Core i7 920 @ 3.0Ghz
6gb G.Skill 1600mhz/9-9-9-24
Corsair 750XT
EVGA GTX 260---216core
WD 640gb
14590 3dmarks @ stock
Old 10-30-2009, 11:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

Originally Posted by wafflehammer View Post
.....but i guess to answer the main question..i don't think you need over 6gb unless you're running a lot of stuff that loves RAM....

But yeah right now i would say 4GB is the norm, 6GB+ is for the more higher end users. But its silly to think that wont change.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:33 AM   #23 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm running 3-4 VM at the same time while encoding and other memory eating application. So 12GB RAM and a i7 processor was a good buy for me.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:23 AM   #24 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

The only things I can think of using 6+GB RAM for (btw, I have 6 in tri-channel, check the sig) have already been said, namely:

1)Photo/image/Movie Editing/encoding and such production - aka if your going to MAKE things, not play things, even 3D Game animation and CAD programs.

2) using multiple things at once, not 1, 2, or even 5, but more like 30. (15 internet pages, 3 games in window mode, burning a DVD, etc)

3) Just to overkill so you never have to worry about "omg, do I need more RAM?"

Currently I have 6GB, but I wouldn't mind 12 or even more, going to be doing some heavy 3D rendering and all the fast RAM I can get will help speed it up.

As for gaming... heck no. 6GB is wasted on games, even the highest quality games don't even truely use "1GB" of RAM, instead the game requirements take into consideration you need an OS to play - and the OS needs to be running smooth to keep the game from running horribly.

Look at Fo3 - it only uses some 300MB of RAM max - even though the specs say higher - they also list the OS, XP and Vista - Vista of course eating more RAM......

at the point of sounding silly, if your a RAM head - you better have a Motherboard and CPU to support it, as well as a 64bit OS.

Windows 7 64bit
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67Ghz (Stock)
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 4890 XXX Edition@ 900Mhz (Stock)
Ram: OCZ Platinum 6GB DDR3 1600 Triple Channel (Stock)
Mobo: ASUS P6T Deluxe
PSU: Corsair TX750W
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache (ST31000333AS)
Cooler Master HAF 932
Closed Thread