Why can't it just Back up!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlord20

Fully Optimized
Well I want to back my computer up for the upcoming release of windows 7. I am doing a fresh reformat and install when it releases and want to back this machine up. Using the built in utility and my WD 250gb My Passport. It says there isn't enough space on the disk?! The back up size says 138.2gb and this is in NTFS format. What could be the problems? Should I try and get another internal drive and run raid or should I try to get a different external for this job?

I started with 245GB and after running back up utility it says there is a 138gb back up file on there. and there is only 92gb left on the drive. BUT the to visible files on there are like 580bytes and 0 bytes and those are computer and MediaID.bin.

If this helps any, I posted some screen shots of what is going on.

Capture-1.jpg

Ca2pture.jpg

Would you say creating an image of the drive with Clonezilla is better than using Windows Backup? How much does it compress? I have a 288GB Partition (C:\, it's a partition on the D drive, HP prebuilt came that way) but the drive I have to store my backups is around 32GB.

Vista's backup is a POS and should never be used. I've tried it on two of my computers and neither ever worked. It either says there isn't enough space or the drive is not formatted properly.

I've read a few others places that the backup feature in Vista shouldn't be used because there are a ton of known issues with it.

Just use a free program, like the one mentioned above.

Do you just need to backup files, pics, vids, program exe's, etc? If so you can use SyncBack which is free. Schedule it to run when you hit the sack and when you awake, it will be finished. Format that Passport and then let SyncBack do its thing. With that backup program you are backing up items you dont need.

2BrightSparks | Downloads

If I were backing up my OS partition I would use Ghost (or something similar), possibly Partition Magic. For any other partition I would just use Partition Magic. I already own them, so why not use them? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom