Not open for further replies.

AuBrEy Online

In Runtime
I heard that a:

3000+ will compete with a 3.2, 3.4 and even a 3.6 Pentium 4 Ghz
(in terms of gaming)

However on a 3000+ the clock speed is 1.8/2.4Ghz
The P4 is 3.0Ghz

Now on the FSB the AMD are 200/250 (i think I am wrong)
and the P4 have 533/800

seems odd can someone tell me? :)

There are 2 things that you need to be aware of:

First of all, AMD CPUs use Hypertransport which opens a huge amount of bandwidth to the memory. Along with this is AMD's on-die memory controller that reduces the time needed to get information from the RAM to the CPU itself

Second, AMD CPUs process more instructions per clock cycle. This is why a 3000+ @1.8GHz competes with a 3 GHz Intel. I'll give an analogy:

Two runners are running in step with each other. Their feet hit the ground at the same time as the others do. Imagine that one runner is taller than the other. The taller one is going to cover more ground per stride than the shorter one. Now if the shorter runner wanted to keep up with the taller runner, he would have to run faster by moving his feet faster just to keep up, because he covers less distance per stride.

Short Runner=Intel CPU
Tall Runner=AMD CPU
Stride=Clock Cycle
Stride Frequency=CPU Frequency

Hope that helps:D

I've always heard that AMDs were faster because they could do one instruction per clock cycle, whereas INTEL chips had to perform an instruction, and then idle for the next clock cycle while the instruction was processed. Thus making the AMD chip more efficient.

I'm not too sure about how 64 bit works, but I think the reason why people are listing after it so badly is because the 64 bit architecture allows it to read RAM far more efficently than a 32 bit processor would.

Just that I know someone who thinks Intel are a lot better ..... and i'd like to be able to back my stoires up with cleaver stuff! ;)

Oh yeah silence782? how is Linux? Mandrake 10.1?

Could you gimme some pics of it? ... I am thinking of trying it out are there any good things about it?

does MSN run on it? :p

hell no intel are the worst computers man.. they can't do any shit. Intels are only good mulitple tasking that's all, nothing else. Amd's are much faster, and preforms better in the games. That's why intel's are trying to change. Before, they were trying to make their cpu faster, they weren't thinking of making faster clock cycle. That's why they are trying to change that, and not trying to make their cpu faster.

Also, AMD have shorter pipelines and depend on less clock cycles per instruction, and Intel have higher frequency, but dont really care about how many clock cycles it takes to get an instruction done.

Nuke Intel also kicks AMD's ass when it comes to video encoding/processing. But AMD is still really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom