Who here is dreading there next major up grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Okay, this week i have come down to the conclusion that I am going to dread the my next computer upgrade. This week, I did did the following for builds :-

1. 1x Pentium 4 LGA775 System with DDR 2
2. 2x AMD Socket 939 Systems

With the amount of changes that has happened in the last 12 months, I am not looking forward to my next major upgrade when my retire my 2 current computer.

Firstly we got SATA. It's definatly way to go. But a it does look like I am going to have to ditch my current drives.

PCI-Express. Unlike the change over from ISA to PSI and the induction of AGP, PCI-X as hit the market with the current market with an EVOLVE or DIE approach. Motherboards come with AGP or PCI-X. Not both. So this means i am going to be up for a new video card whether i like it or not when i upgrade.

Power Supply. Well, I don't think my current Just Cooler Job is going to be enough for then I do get my AMD Athlon 64. And not only that , but the connection has changed on for where I plug it into the motherboard.

And finally DDR2 ram. I am going to need to replace the DDR@FSB400 that I got in their new stuff.

To sum it all up.... I am not looking forward to my next computer upgrade as it's going to be expensive as I will be replacing just about every thing. (As where the past upgrades was an incrimental process)

I do look forward to the my next computer when I get around to moving to the AMD ATHLON 64 SOCKET 939 (or better). But I do dread the financial slug that it's going to be as it will be basically a whole new machine.

Any one else in this same feeling?

BTW, I am currently looking for some one to arrange an insurance job on my house.... :D
Can any one suggest me an insurance company that has good home computer coverage for either theif or power surges.

You mean an insurer that won't devalue your pc by 2 percent for every day old it is?

Your telling me its hard with all these choices for computer upgrades. Its fine if you really keep up with it all, but when you only upgrade every 3 years EVERYTHING changes, and what you used to know dosn't matter anymore. But I guess its the same for anything :)

I know I am but mainly for the sole reason that i cant afford the 1000 that it would cost to properly upgrade my weak-a$$ system....

I would love to get the AMD 64 939 (nubius learnt me a lesson lol),
6800 ultra,
2gb ram,
4x100gb HD's,
liquid cooling,
creative audigy 4......

I'm not asking too much am I......? hahahaha

i just did a decent upgrade for my computer.....i don't need top of the line...cause well...it won't be top of the line for long....so wha's the point in spendin' all that extra money for it.
i just need to keep an eye on graphics right now cause that's my next upgrade...and a psu..but tha'snot terrible hard.

My "upgrade" is going to be a replacement. I am currently riding an eMachine W2040 that I upped memory, added a DVD drive and a very low-end graphics card (it couldn't handle a low-end card...but it was an ATI, so go figure).

My first purchase will have to be a bigger monitor. That way, I can use it with my current 'puter until I get the new one built.

I am looking at an Antec Sonata case, as my better half despises having a window in a computer case.

I know I am going with a socket 939...unless AMD starts popping out a bunch of different ones again...then I'll wait. Choosing the motherboard is going to be the biggest headache for me. I have seen so many good ones that have all the stuff I want.

I know I am definately going back with nVidea. My run in with ATI was enough for me. I don't need that kind of a headache trying to get one piece of hardware to work.

SATA is a definate. I'm not worried about using my current drive.

I read that AMD should be offering DDR2 support this year, so I will probably try to go with it then.

I know I won't have the cash to drop on this, so I am going to have to build as I can. It sucks to be a grown-up with bills sometimes.

Nah he's not talking about keeping up to date with it.

It's the fact that everything is switching over to something new which means big dents in the wallet.

I JUST got a 1gb kit of some good RAM which will be worthless when I have to go DDR2 :(

So pretty much I have to enjoy this computer while it lasts, cause god knows if I'll be able to upgrade.

600w+ PSU's are becoming common with SLI and crap beign introduced.

Bah! I need a trust fund just for my PC :p

Nubius said:
Nah he's not talking about keeping up to date with it.

It's the fact that everything is switching over to something new which means big dents in the wallet.

I JUST got a 1gb kit of some good RAM which will be worthless when I have to go DDR2 :(

Pretty much put says it all.

Like a am a little mifted at my AMD Disty for telling me that the Athlon Xp where going to be quickly discontinued last about 6 months ago. My original plan for my set up was the max out at 3hz. But now I am just going to have to do that with my current 2.6.

DDR Ram is going to be easily sellable. So there is not much of an issue there.

As for my hard drives. My main consern is for my 200Gb that I am currently kicking. If I have the opportunity to sell it this year, I will. and from there I will just pay the $20 for a IDE and SATA adapter in mean time.

Still, does mean that I am going to be up for a new video card with my next upgrade. There is no avoiding that. I think I will just keep my current FX5700 256Mb VIVO and overclock the little guy.

Apart from hard drives, I don't see myself doing much in the way of updates this year on my PC.

I love the thought i just save up and get 1 item at a time
MOBO first.Then build off of it.I get a rush out of the new stuff.But Ive been a freak about everything electronic since i was 9.And dont see any change in sight.

Not dreading it........just bummed, mostly because its hard to wait for the right time and know when the right time will be to make the purchase:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom