When will 10,000 rpm hard drives be standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdawg

Daemon Poster
It only makes sense to me that as ram, gpu's, and processors get faster, that hard drives have to be a bottleneck of some sort considering they are already the slowest part of the pc and cause longer loading times, stutter in games, etc.

When will 10k rpm hard drives be standard in pc's? How come there is no competition for raptors, and the price on those has always been so high? Whats the next thing for hard drives?

I figure I'll upgrade when everything thats out is faster than what I have now standard, including hard drives!

The reason raptors price is so high, is because they have NO competition, they can pretty much set any price they want....i give a few more years until 10K drives are standard.

actually raptors aren't the best compared to fiber channel SCSI drives which are at 15,000rpm but those are 800$+scsi card. actually hybrid drives may be better route than 10,000 rpm Hd's or ram drives but as of now i have only seen a 40gb model, add 300+ for the case then you have to fork over serious dough for 4gb dimms, just look what happened with quad sliit was supposed to be the best thin thn 8800gtx came out and beat it. Who knows if 10k HD's become standard or we may see a new technology in the future that is more viable.

Wait until they finally get the crystal drives up and running they want working, those can run near the speed of RAM so I've heard.

does that mean that the RaptorX has a shorter life span compared to a regular WD Digital Caviar or a Seagate Barracuda being used equally @ 7200 RPM

actually turtle is right that hybrid drives will be better and more likely to catch on than 10k rpm standard hard drives, forgot about those since its been a while that i've read about those.

let me make sure i understand here, instead of 16mb cache they will be have 1 gig cache? regular hard drive + 1 gig flash drive for cache?

I don't think that 10k RPM drives will ever make it to the mainstream. The jump will be to hybrid drives, as solid state memory is much faster that typical HDD's, and there isn't a mechanical limitation.

Also, the faster the drive spins, the lower the platter density is going to be....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom