What's Your Stance on this? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Is AMD Smoother in games? (don't just vote, post why you said it)
Yes 0 0%
No? 4 100.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Default What's Your Stance on this?

So this mostly applies to people have owned both AMD CPU's and Intel CPU's..

I want to know if the whole hype on AMD being smoother in games and Windows is true... I'm not really sure on this: I thought it was when I compared my friend's C2E QX9650 OC'ed @ 3.8ghz rig with his 8500gt (ripped by Cyberpower... enough said ) and my HD 3200 overclocked and X2 4600+ @ Stock in COD4... we got around the same FPS, his being a little bit higher, but when my friend and I compared the smoothness (all other variables were same like: settings in COD4, mouse sensitivity.. everything) He did have a gaming mouse but for this experiment we used two of these Dell ball mouses to make sure it wasn't flawed... I noticed a difference, so did my friend...

Some see it, some don't.. I want to see what people say though

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 08-27-2008, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: What's Your Stance on this?

I've always had Intel in my machines, except for pre-built machine I had roughly a year or so ago. My verdict?

There is no difference. At least I haven't noticed one, every game I played on that AMD machine played just as well on an Intel machine. No slow down, no delays and same settings for each game.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Die, You are forgiven. If I Live, I will kill you." Such is the Rule of Honor.

Antec 1200 Case
Core i7 2.8 Ghz
6GB Corsair RAM
Nvidia GTX 285
22" Monitor
Old 08-27-2008, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Determining if there is a difference in smoothness will be difficult because so many variables can affect smoothness besides the cpu. The systems ram, motherboard, and graphics card could all affect the perceived smoothness.

To prove it one way or another you would have to use all the same components except the cpu and motherboard (for obvious reasons) with the motherboards both having the the same pcie speed. You would also have to ensure that the people comparing them did not know which system was which to eliminate any potential for bias.

I don't think there is difference but I have no problem being proved wrong.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Old 08-27-2008, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Ethan_Kaizer Send a message via MSN to Ethan_Kaizer

Obviously, there is going to be different motherboards, because mobos can't support both AMD and Intel. So, there's no way to make an exactly identical machine with just a different processor. Also, every game is different, and every specific computer build will come out slightly different. You would have to test a load of games and keep the computers' environments completely controlled.... bla bla bla.

And how are you picking the AMD and Intel cpus? Price or frequency?

So, in conclusion, there's too many differences to flat out say "AMD is better for gaming".
Old 08-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

just based on playing at high frame rates which seems to be smoother and such. i haven't really seen a huge difference, but my amd proc was old and had a worse setup then what i have now. but i suppose if i had 2 machines going i might be able to put more time into seeing if there's the smoothness aspect, but i don't really remember it being any different.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Camera junky

keeping the same gpu, i whent from a 4000+ to a q6600 and i noticed the speed boost right away as i was mainly capable of maxing it with the q6600 and not with the 4000+

https://www.flickr.com/photos/poizen22/
intel Core I7 8700k@ 5.0ghz-Nvidia GTX1080 ti ftw3-Aorus 5 z370 mobo-16gb ddr4 G-Skill trident Z rgb 3000mhz - 1tb samsung 960 pro, 2tb wd blue- thermaltake rgb 750w gold-Phanteks pro M TG- Samsung CHG70 1440p 144hz 32 inch QLED.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Ok, I guess it was just happenstance that it happened then... oh well... GPU's matter more anyways

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Closed Thread