What's your biggest computer disaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I put a new PSU in and my mdb suddenly erupted a small electrical fire near the PSU power socket.

foreverxyoung said:
lol thanks alex thats the first time somebody flamed me...for a stupid reason 2. =/

Yeah it was completely uncalled for I'm sorry. Just under a lot of frustration/stress right now. And most of it isn't even from this recent issue.

Sorry to involve you.

Yeah that's why I'm scared to get a 200gb hard drive, cause if you wanted to back it up you're kind of screwed unless you have another one, but then thats requiring 2 expensive HD's, one just for backup, one just for storage =/

But yeah I tinker in my computer on the carpet, cause there's no where else that isn't, but yeah I also make sure I'm not wearing socks and grip the metal bar in my case and generally hold onto it and make 100% sure I'm grounded.

Never fried a board or anything from carpet, only cause of that damn multimeter

humm,
well, i took apart my dad's p3 800, straight down to the processor...he was gone on vacation at the time....put it back together...dead screen...*uh oh*....he came home...i lied...said i started it up and the screen just stayed black....i was in grade 9 at the time...hahaha

i took it apart a couple of weeks ago though (i'm 20 now by the way) and put it back together, reset cmos and got it workin'....hd's messed now though so i need a different one.

one about my actual computer...
brother was takin' a shower, didn't put the curtain inside the tub...water was spillin' out...down the ac/heating duct...leaked onto my computer.....water got inside a little bit..i let it dry, took it apart, took a rag to the parts, put it back together and it started up.....*phew*

oh ya...i lost over 2000 mp3's the other week due to a hd crash....oh ya!!!

oh ya, i hooked up that p3 800 too a coupe weeks ago...i used the broken psu cable..forgot it was messed up...moved it a bit...holy hell it was the forth of july!!! damn sparks burned right though the cable and started shootin' out....so i grabed the cable and yanked it out within' like a second....

heh, my buddy say's i'm great with computers....but i've got some bad luck.....

Re:

Hello,

Well I have experienced mostly physical disasters with computers...two of disasters...

One slightly halarious one, happened in the warm days of summer. I purchased a new, cheap brand LCD monitor, but then with great disappointment, discovered dropped pixels. Following that, I endured a week of battling with PC World, as they refused to replace my monitor.

After a successful refund, I instead, purchased a Samsung SyncMaster 15" LCD TFT. It operated fine, clear screen, bright and colourful, good resolutions and refresh rates. But after one week of use, I realised that it also had (in a diagonal row), dropped pixels! However, under closer examination with a microscope, I discovered very shockingly that the dropped pixels seemed to be shifting north :confused: ...Then it hit me :amazed: ! I wasn't suffering from dropped pixels, but a parasitic thunder fly nesting within the screen. I left the screen for several days, thinking that the thunder fly would disappear...but I was wrong :angry: . Instead, once again under the microscope, I discovered several more dropped pixels far south... :confused: another thunder fly!

Now I guess it is kind of my fault :rolleyes:, for situating the monitor right in front of my patio doors, in direct warmth. But I found that the thunder flies were attracted by the bright, light leakage at the top air vent of the monitor- something of a design floor I think.

Although that wasn't too disastrous, my second experience was somewhat disastrous. I suffered from an exploding and smoking PC once before...an old one. I discovered that I had overloaded it, for the PSU was smoking and smelt of burnt hair. Somehow a capacitor managed to burst and shoot out from a PSU vent :rolleyes: ...it had me diving to the floor!

Yeah i've got a pretty bad one. I was building a highend gaming PC for a friend of mine. I had the CPU, MEMORY and MOBO installed the case.
I was removing the panels to install the DVD/CD drives. And I must have cut my finger on those metal plates that are (SUPER) sharp, that you have to remove in some cases. Well, the cut was so clean and quick that I didn't even know i was cut. It was actually pretty deep. As I took my hand out of the inside of the case to grab a screw driver i noticed the blood running down my wrist.... OH NO....

I look into the case... Sure enough... There were large drops of blood all over the MOBO... A lot of blood on the memory and some on the fan and heatsink.

I was able to clean the Fan & HS - but I didn't want to chance it with the MOBO and memory... That little cut on my finger cost me about 350.00 out of my own pocket....

It really sucked...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom