What's your biggest computer disaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilotwings119

Banned
I havent really had one yet, luckily, but i'm insterested in what the biggest disaster or mistake yall have ever had with building or fixing a computer.

My biggest would probably be when I let my friend upgrade my processor about 2 years ago because I was really rusty and hadn't built a computer since I worked on a pentium 2 way before. I bought a 2.4 and it wouldn't fit on my dads gigabyte motherboard which had a 1.7 and he basically forgot to put the heatsink on I believe and my monitor was just black. The computer wouldn't boot either but it would turn on. Don't remember how long he had it on but we put the heatsink back on, still screwed. I wasn't too happy so I was taking a highschool course over at the votec and I built myself a new computer with the assistance of some classmates since I was pretty rusty at working on crap. I won't forget how many cpu's my friend fried when he borrowed them, probably because he was on the carpet *sigh*.

hmmm my worst dissaster uualy i havent had one and the most was probably like not using my comp for 1-2 days becuz of the dissaster simple software issues

Using a multimeter to measure voltage through my chipset on the NF7-S v2 board attempting a voltage mod when the needle arched two legs of a mosfet and POP! MOTHERBOARD DOWN!!! MOTHERBOARD DOWN!!

Got it RMA'd though :p

My worste disaster, as some of you know, is a pipe leaking in my basement, dripping water through the top fan of computer and shooting it into the PSU, and onto the new eVGA 6800gt. GT and psu were gone, was able to recover the motherboard but I'm still having trouble actually getting the computer to boot. At a loss.

That reminds me, we had a flood a few years ago in our house in Chicago, wasn't my computer actually damaged but my dads pentium pros were damaged and insurance covered everything in the basement, I think that's when he bought the 935 mhz at the time, believe this was in 97?

Connecting all the parts of my computer on the carpet without putting decent non conductive insulation underneath all the bits, 1 second after I turned the thing on the motherboard light went off. and never came back on since :(

and trying to make a computer case out of wood. It was for the computer described above. so I never got to see the fruits of my labour :(

I tried to remove Linux from my computer and made such a big mess of it I ended up losing all my data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom