Whats wrong with my hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion2005

In Runtime
I put this in the PC Gaming section... and nobody seemed to he helping. When I posted I didnt see this hardware zone... maybe someone could help me.....

Ok, just to let you know, I am not a complete newbie to computers. I am 16, and have custom made my PC. Heres what I put in it:
Asus A7V8X-X Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ CPU
512 MB of cheapest Kingston RAM (not sure what speed)
GeForce FX 5700 128 MB Vid Card... ummmm that should be good
30 GB 7200 RPM Seagate... I have windows and music on this
80 GB 7200 RPM Seagate... I have games and backup on this
I DO defrag when win2k tells me to
onboard sound and lan, and the rest blaa blaa blaa
I have the most recent drivers for vid card, and drivers installed from cd for motherboard.

Some of my games are really bugging me. I really like Morrowind. My old motherboard processor and ram I gave to my brother. Some Abit motherboard AMD Athlon XP 1800+ and 512 MB of RAM. He has a 32 MB GeForce MX. Morrowind is working better on his computer than mine. I tried Reinstalling, and the problem still isnt working. I put the view distance down, and I am still only getting about 25 FPS. Sometimes it will jump up to 90 FPS.
Morrowind will also act like it is crashing, but it starts to work again when outside. I think it might be loading areas, but my hard drive is calm. Also when I go indoors, it loads fast. But when I go outdoors, my brothers computer goes about 4x faster.

Battlefield 1942 is outragiously not working. Every 2 or 3 seconds there is a major jerk in preformance. I set the AI all the way down, and the graphics all the way down also. This jerk wont go away. My FPS are about 60 when graphics are all the way down and resolution is 640X480.

I have these types of problems on various games, and my FPS on Halo and a few of these other games will jump from 60 to 40 to 25 to 19 to 70. I have a feeling something isnt right. I have tried everything, and just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions.

Also, I push ctrl alt delete, and I go to my task manager. There is that part in there that tells you the %age of how much your processor is being used. I have the AMD Athlon 2700+ and lets say I go into Real One Player. My processor will jump from 0 to 100%. Then I am just scrolling though my songs, it will go down to about 60 and 40%... JUST SCROLLING. I set my cpu in the BIOS to 2.1 GHz, and I am pretty sure that is what it is supposed to be set at for the 2700.

NVIDIA drivers are up to date, and I have directx 9.0b, I dont know about BIOS drivers, I dont have broadband, and I have installed all the drivers for my board from the CD. I have adaware and adwatch, but I dont run adwatch anymore because it wont let me change my registry. I dont think I have a problem with spyware anymore...

The only thing that you have that could be holding you back is your memory. If you got the cheapest ram you could find, then that might be the problem. Or if its pc133 or something when you need pc2100. You have decent equiptment otherwise, ive never played morrowind but i think with what you have it should go a little faster than 20 fps. Try finding out exactly what ram you have and maybe investing in some better memory.

I ran the CPU-Z program, and some of it I understood... here is what it says about my memory. Hopefully it isnt too blurry for you to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom