whats the speed on usb 1? Is it good for video input?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
I need to know what the transfer rate for usb one is? Is it fast enough to do video input?

I highly doubt it, I know that USB 1.1 has a transfer rate of 12mbs, so USB 1.0 will have an even smaller bandwidth. Especially when you compare them to newer connections, such as firewire/IEE1394 (400mbs) and USB 2.0 (480mbs), it won't even come close.

Firewire is the ideal digital video input, and most DV cameras today will transfer video to the computer via this bus.

Wait I thought that all usb 1 was actually usb 1.1? But what you say is what I was guessing which was 10mbps and my video editing friend was saying I would need probably at least 20mbps. So I just need to find a good firewire input device since thats on this computer.
Anybody know if a 600mhz athlon k6-2, 256mb ram computer is enough to do video tape quality video editing?

btw, nice sig.

It probably is a USb 1.1 interface that your computer has. You can easily go out and buy a firewire or USB 2.0 PCI card for less than 20 bucks, but your system will be really hard pressed to do any video editing, especially with high end programs such as Premiere Pro.

You should also check which interface your camera uses first. :p

I can't take credit for this siggy banner, I have been meaning to make my own but I'm bored sick of photoshop now. =/

Well its actually my uncle that wants to do all this stuff. What he is wanting to do is simply hook up the vcr to the computer with A/V cables through a breaker box(I think thats what its called) and burn the video to a dvd. All he really wants to do with the video is edit stuff out maybe put in a view subtitles. Nothing major just real simple director editing stuff.
We had a dazzle breaker box but its usb 1 and the quality on the video is horrible.

Ahhh, you mean an analog input device with the standard RCA hookups?

I'm not very familiar with them, I do have one that came with my video card, which has it's own unique input interface on the card, so I don't know what interface they use, but it probably is USB 1.1/2.0.

They will have much lower quality, when transfering video via an analog source it loses a lot of its quality, which is why firewire is now ideal and found in practically all digital video cameras today, due to the fact that it transfers video without any loss of quality.

It's pretty much something you can't avoid unfortunetely.

So is there anyway we can transfer vhs tapes to the computer without quality loss?

I'm sure there are ways for it to be done, but I'm not aware of all of them and they can probably get quite expensive.

What you can do is buy youself a Digital 8 camcorder, or even a DV camera, use those as VCRs so to speak, record your VHS tapes to a Digital 8 or DV tape, and then use the firewire interface to transfer the video to the computer. The nice thing about Digital 8 is it uses old 8mm tapes that are normally analog and allows them to be digitally transfered via firewire.

Also, your computer will provide pretty bad performance in most editing and capture programs, especially the encoding part of the job.

For light video editing you need at least a p3 500mhz or equivelent AMD with 256mb ram.
Just for splicing and placing clips together.

For heavy DV quality you need at least a p4 2ghz or equivilent with 512mb ram 3200. (1gig recommended) and a big hard drive (AVI DV files are 3.5mb for each second of video) OpenGL video card for 3-D effects.

To transfer any analog video source to a digtal format will require you to buy a convertor. $100-250. the really good hi-quality professional ones are $350-500. But if you have a camcorder that will let you transfer video you can use that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom