whats processor core?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eatbutt

Banned
whats all this talk about processor core? and how can u figure that out if u dont have the processor yet? if u do have the processor?

San Diego is the best core to get, if you do have the CPU, use CPU-z, if not, hope the site you are buying it from tells you (newegg does).

(Laymans) It is the the heart of the processor, that does the processing, about 0.5cm² in size.

HEY HEY HEY!!! I'm no gamer buddy!!! :angry:

about 0.5cm² in size.

I was just saying that in reference to that. MOre people would understand 90nm than they would 0.5cm2 in size.

horndude said:
negative to most of the above, come on guys,I know most of you are gamers but sheesh

90nm or 130nm refers to the process used in nanometers which basically is the thickness of the pathways of the connections between transistors in the CPU, the smaller that number is, the more transistors they can put inside a given space on the silicon die, but it has a side effect, while smaller pathways waste less energy due to resistance(making less heat),they also leak more current and have a lower threshold to higher voltages, they bleed a lot of energy at higher voltages creating even more heat.

The "core" is the basic part of the CPU that handles insructions, in some cases it may be considered the entire CPU, these days though like with AMD they also integrate other things on the CPU die like a memory controller and cache memory which technically arent really part of the core.When they make these chips they often make several models and many parts of them stay unchanged from model to model, like cache memory or the memory controller.Which is why the term "core" has been created, CPU's have become modular, where as in the past they only had a few basic parts and most of the other functions were handled by support chips on the motherboard.

Thanks horndude, that's summed it up for everyone perfectly.

Cervicle plug Umbrella, used to gyroscope the mars polar lander through antarctica and decode our digital phone line signals into our TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom