What's the problem here???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashboss

Beta member
my newly and firstly built pc stopped working after 2 months of running smooth a few weeks ago. it al happened when i was curious about how low the clock rate would go in my BIOS. when i got to the lowest i accidently wizzed round to the max and it froze. this has happened before when it goes so high but upon restart no probs.

note: i didn't actually run any of these speeds i've always maintained the same speed since i first set it up.

after restarting, i couldn't boot into my OS (XP) or an OS setup CD (Windows XP and 98) IF a hard drive was present. when a HD wasn't present it booted into the CD's fine.
i returned my mobo thinking it was that and their tests said it wouldn't even POST. which was weird as it would for me like i care i've got replacement mobo that will work. well i assume i do but i'm having the exact same problem and unless (at the unlikely chance) this new mobo has that same fault its another component which will be smashed when identified as the offending party

my 2 hard drives work fine on this pc (270mhz!!!) so its not them and my brand new mobo should work (i'm half-open to it being that) which only leaves

-RAM
-Processor
-Graphics Card

1. so which one is likely to be the offending part?

2. and is it even possible that RAM stops you booting just because a HD is present?

ASUS A7V8X-X
AMD Athlon XP Barton 2500+
Crucial 512mb pc2700
ATI Radeon 64mb (agp)
550watt Qtec psu

worst case scenario: you fried your processor. try to reset the CMOS on the motherboard. read the manual. it will tell you to unplug power cord and short jumpers j2+j3 for 30 seconds. the manual shows you the location of the CMOS reset pins.

i dont see how i could of fried the processor though when i didn't actually run it at that speed. i've had it overclocked to 2.2ghz since i first installed with max temps only hitting 52-53C and from what i understand thats pretty normal.
i once overclocked to 2.3ghz but that i only kept it like that for about 10 minutes.

if just the BIOS freezing fried my CPU thats a pretty shitty really. hey if it is the CPU i can at least replace it with an upgrade rather than a replacement, maybe. looks like im going to have call on my super slow uncle to find out the problem for me which i've been holding out at doing.

btw i reset my BIOS about 10 times last time and even with my battery out for about 20mins so its not that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom