whats the highest RAM?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceman2105

Baseband Member
my motherboard (MSI K8T neo Fis2r) says it can use PC3200 RAM. can i use PC 3700 RAM in it. will it run at 46 frequency or will it jus run as PC 3200. i can get the 3700 cheaper than the 3200 so. please someone help

is the quality of the 3700 better, the same, or worse of 3200? cause that may matter

i believe the quality is the same its just designed to go to 466, i want to know if my ports will support it

The memory over pc3200 in DDR is rated to run at at least the speed its labeled say if pc3700 memory is overclocked the company has tested it at those speed 466 MHz , but that doesn't mean it can't go higher . If you overclock your system by raising the FSB to 233 MHz you would utilize what your ram was specially made for. All of the modern processors have an FSB of 100-200 MHz its just doubled or quadrupled to be a 266 , 333, 400, 533 , or 800 MHz . DDR runs in the same way as it runs at the same speed as the FSB and is doubled to get more speed. It would be a waste to have DDR 333 on a 400 or 800 MHz bus because they both really run at 200 MHz but the memory runs at 333 MHz which since it is doubled is only 166 MHz.When memory runs below the FSB it drags the FSB's speed down to 166 MHz as well . Now their is nothing wrong with having memory rated above the FSB it just lowers its speed to the FSB . In the future buy ram rated at your processor's FSB if you aren't going to overclock since ram rated to run at 400 MHz and will most likely out bench a comparitiviley pricedmodule that runs above DDR 400 . If you do overclock buy memry rated to run at the FSB speed you are going to overclock to .Because this will outperform the same priced 3200 modules at an overclocked level . Hope this helps .:D

aceman2105 said:
my motherboard (MSI K8T neo Fis2r) says it can use PC3200 RAM. can i use PC 3700 RAM in it. will it run at 46 frequency or will it jus run as PC 3200. i can get the 3700 cheaper than the 3200 so. please someone help

Usually u can use faster ram speed than your mobo supported, just that no guarantee whether it can work stable or not.

It would be a waste to have DDR 333 on a 400 or 800 MHz bus because they both really run at 200 MHz but the memory runs at 333 MHz which since it is doubled is only 166 MHz.When memory runs below the FSB it drags the FSB's speed down to 166 MHz as well .
Could this really be correct? Isn't RAM a passive component, and DDR333 meaning that it is rated to handle 333 MHz, i.e. a bus speed of 166 MHz? So if you use DDR333 on a 400 MHz bus (200 Mhz doubled), your CPU is working at the bus frequency and your memory as well. However memory is operating at a higher speed than it is rated for, which could mean that it won't work properly. Maybe I'm wrong?

aceman2105 said:

If your MB says the max is PC3200, then that's THE MAX speed it supports. Whether or not it will boot (after installing the new RAM is questionable) It may not even boot w/ the PC 3700... or if it does it may not even recognize the RAM modules. I haven't really played around w/ DDR RAM enough to say for sure.

Your motherboard doesn't officially support anything higher than DDR400, but experience tells me that it will support any Corsair memory you throw at it.

There is no motherboard out there that supports PC4400 (DDR550), so why do Corsair make such a speed? The answer is because Corsair don't want their memory to hold people's overclocking back, i.e. if someone buys VapoChill cooling, which gets your CPU temperature down to -50C, then they want their memory to be able to keep up with any CPU overclocking without overheating (memory heating is passive, you can't buy a fan or watercooling for it).

VapoChill cooling allows people to overclock their P4 3.0GHz CPU by 1GHz, i.e. overclock it to 4GHz, which originally has a multiplier of 15, so to get it to 4GHz the FSB MHz would have to be 266 or ~DDR533, whereas Corsair PC4400 has a DDR rating of 550MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom