What would you say is the best mobo manufacturer? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2004, 01:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
True Techie

Well I’ve used Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, Aopen and ECS. In my opinion Gigabyte is the best. Asus and MSI are ok well not bad. Aopen sucks and ECS would be the crappiest brand of all.

Old 09-22-2004, 02:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

I've had an SiS, MSI (currently), and ASUS and I plan on getting an ABit board next....SiS sucked and so did ASUS. I'm happy with this MSI I got, but it's not meant for overclocking and I want to dive into the OC'ing world and this just doesn't have the options. I still say ASUS sucks now a days.

Old 09-23-2004, 05:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Monster Techie

ive owned 18 ASUS boards none have failed and overclock great. My newest is the A8V Deluxe so far i havent had any problems at all.Soon i will start to OC my system then i will give you my final answer
Thermaltake Armor A90
Corsair HX1000W PS
i7 2600k / Cooler Master Hyper N 520
Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Gen 3
8 GIG Corsair Vengeance
eVGA GTX 570
SB Audigy2 Platinum
Kingston Hyper X120 SSD
WIN 7 - 64b
LG Blue Ray Super Multi Burrner
Logitech THX Z560
3x120mm - 1x200 mm case fans
Old 09-23-2004, 06:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Alex81388

Gigabyte has some great boards and their reliability is extreme. Customer support is very nice too. But you do pay for it.
Sig removed due to foul language. Please read the rules regarding the allowable content of sigs before reposting your COMPLIANT sig.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I have one quick question. How long should a newbie at bulding comps (me) wait to overclock? Seeing that my mobo lets me oc by 5,10,20, & 30%, should I oc like one of the choices each month? month 1 - oc 5% month 2 - oc 10% etc.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Enterprise SCCM\SCOM
Send a message via ICQ to jseber1982 Send a message via AIM to jseber1982 Send a message via Yahoo to jseber1982

It isnt really a matter of how long youv been doing computer, more or less a matter of how well you understand overclocking. Gotta know about multipliers,fsb and voltages. your clock speed = multiplier*fsb. and usually when you up the fsb, ya sometimes gotta increase the ram voltage, and when you increase the cpu clock speed, ya gotta increase the cpu voltage. Just use common sense when you do it. everyone has there own way of doing it.. the way i do it... i slowly increase the fsb a few mhz each time, and in between, i do a burn in test to make sure its stable. I try to knock back the multiplier to keep the cpu around the default speed while doing this.. Once the fsb is as high as i can get it without crashing, i increase the ram voltage a little bit and try increaseing the fsb more. Once it crashes after youv done a voltage increase, back the fsb off a lil and you got your fsb.. The i slowly up the multiplier on the cpu until it fails the burn in tests, then i up the voltage a lil bit. And so on so on, when it is as high as it can go with a voltage increase, back it off like .5 and whamo there ya go, system is as fast as it will go.

But if you are gunna overclock, make sure you have a good heatsink on your cpu. Heat spreaders on the ram dont hurt, Heck, a better heatsink and fan on the northbridge dont hurt either.

Closed Thread