What video card to buy for my sys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

d94

Baseband Member
I want to upgrade my video card.. Any suggestions?
my funds are somwhat limited
here are my specs..
p4 2.4@2.8
Volcanoe 7+ cpu fan
3 case fans
500 watt power supply
Midtower case
3x 40gb maxtor diamond 8 ultra 133
56x cd rom
cd burner 48x 24x 48x
dvd burner 4x
dvd burner 4x
512mb pc2100
Asus micro board w/ 4x agp
gforce 4 mx440 64mb ddr
SB live
460 watt speakers through stereo..
windows 2k pro
19" mitsubishi diamond flat monitor

my price range is around $200-300
I deffinetly want to play lots of games

I guess the only other question is do you have a preference to ATI or NVIDIA or do these names mean anything. The last thing i want to happen to you is 6000 post of people telling you which is better. There are lots of good video cards out there. If you are looking for the best of the best, you must get a new price range. If you want agood card that will play all games you want it is not too hard of a choice. Look through some reviews on the web of games you want to play, then maybe go look at some vid card benchmarks on that game. Also look for features like video capture, tv out, tv in. See if there is any thing you may want. I never give my self that high of a price range for anything on a computer, i always by last weeks technology because of the price drop. When this weeks technology is last weeks then i look at upgrading. But last weeks technology is still usually ahead of the software anyway so they play everything fine. Personally ihave a geforce 4 mx 460. i have found it plays everything fine except for a few of the newest games. ie. battlefield 1942s newest expansion. But thats why i reccomend to look at the games you are set on playing and look at the reviews. Just because i own a Nvidia card does not mean my next card wont be ATI. both make great vid cards. by the features not the name.

I'm not a Radeon fan. One of my most common quotes is
'Nvidia = sex :D '
....But the ATi Radeon 9800 mops the floor with the GeForce FX 5900 Ultra.
It was painful to admit the first few times, but true.

ON SALE!
SAPPHIRE OEM RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB DVI/TV 8X AGP Video Card
Specifications:
Chipset: ATI RADEON 9800 PRO
Memory: 128MB DDR
Bus: AGP 8X
New SMARTSHADER™ 2.1 technology allows users to experience complex, movie-quality effects in next-generation 3D games and applications
First to fully support DirectX® 9.0 and the latest OpenGL® functionality
Industry's only 8-pipeline graphics solution in its 2nd generation, providing twice the rendering power of any currently competing product.
Ports:VGA + DVI + S-Video Out
OEM Bundle (See pictures for details) Model#: RADEON 9800PRO 128MB

301$ US from newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit=Go&description=9800,pro

3rd one down

kboy said:
Zero, What's that mean?

I see it as one of two things:

1. Something really dumb: He thinks that the type of computer hardware you buy will get you sex.

Conclusion: No computer hardware will ever get you sex unless you are teaching someone how to use it.

2. He is making a metaphor, saying that nVidia cards are like sex...as in, I assume, super pleasurable to use.

Conclusion: This is probably what he meant.

Yes, #2 was the intended meaning.
...though teaching someone how to use a GeForce will require a little research on my part to see how it could get someone laid. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom