Not open for further replies.

wolfpaw

Beta member
I have:
Athlon TB 1.13
1 stick 256MB Kingston PC-133
GF2 MX400 64MB
ECS K7S5A motherboard

I only have $75 to spend. If you were me, would you upgrade the processor to an Athlon XP 2000+,
the RAM to 2 sticks of Crucial 256MB PC-2100 DDR,
or the video card to either a GF FX 5200 256MB
or a Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB?

Couple of things you should know, my motherboard only supports up to 4x AGP but it does have slots for PC-133 AND DDR.

Any input would be appreciated.

I would narrow it down to either RAM or the processor.
With a new Athlon, you would get about 50% more clock speed, and with a new stick of RAM, 100% more memory.

If I were you, I would consider whether or not being able to run more processes would help more than being able to run one process, such as a game, a lot more efficiently.

tough choice on a limited budget. It all depends on what you do with your computer.
Your processor is still good for most if not all games out there.
The choice remains between your video card or RAM.
Your video card is getting old but is still good. You would definitely notice improvements by changing it just for the memory on board.
You would equally note better performance by buying another stick of RAM.

Up to you but I would pick one of these 2 and leave the CPU alone for now.

Oops!

First, let me say thanks for your replies! I meant to put in what I use my PC for but forgot. Sorry! The main complaint I have with my PC now is that some games don't run well, even old ones like Grand Theft Auto 3. I have to turn off all of the options to get decent frame rates so it's pretty disappointing to look at. I also play Dungeon Siege but unless there are a bunch of bad guys onscreen, it runs fine.

So, taking that into account, what would you buy?

Biggest accelarator of game performance would be a videocard. I would definitly go for the videocard if the problem was games.
256mb card would be overdone for your system as your system is not very fast by itself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom