What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

persianxballer

In Runtime
Should I buy a 6800 Ultra AGP card and make a AGP based system around that?

OR

Should I buy a X800 XL PCI Express card and make a PCI Express system around that?

Keep in mind:
Both cards right now are around $399 (actaully Ultra is $350)
6800 Ultra has Shader Model 3.0 ( future gaming)
I am putting together my system at the end of March

Which is a better decision to make in about a month and a half?

I cant make a decision for you, but both cards are really good. Just make sure you realize AGP getting "outdated" with the PCI-E in the playing field. But like you said the 6800 Ultra has the shader 3(future gaming). If you get a PCI-E you get better bandwidth, but no games to this day take advantage of the PCI-E bandwidth.But to make the system really last I would get a 6800Ultra PCI-E. You will be ahead of the Video card market for a while.

Yea like uzi said a 6800 Ultra pci-e would be the best choice i would not build a new system around agp though as it will be outdated fairly quickly with the market moving heavily toward pci-e.

Persianxballer, its safe to say that at this time either one is fine. PCI Express still has alot of time to completly take over. Dont forget we still cant even utilize PCI Express. Its the same deal with 64 Bit processors. Once we really start using PCI Express, at that time AGP would really compromise your system. Myself, im getting an AGP pretty soon.

Generally, its all up to you. Witch ever one you would rather have. AGP is still good, and still offers some of the best cards.

Well im just saying PCI-E because its becoming the standard really fast and new mobo's dont come with both agp and PCI-E just one or the other so if your upgrading might as well switch to PCI-E and save yourself the trouble later.

Get a PCI-E, why buy the top of the line card if you wont get a PCI-E???? You will get a longer "lifespan" so to speak out of it. Also PCI-E is cheaper in general. Why pay more for something you will get less use out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom