what this mean

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlr

In Runtime
hi i have a cheap computer which is used mostly for word documents its nothing fancy its running windows 98 i keep getting memory test fail when it runs post then i have to press f1 to resume setup then when it comes on i get the message windows has updated your clock settings as a result of daylight saving time im thinking myself that this could be the cmos battery any help here would be most apreiciated cheers in advance mlr

We should have a rule on this forum where if you can't take the time to use at least SOME grammar and spelling, you don't get a response...

Anyway, check your RAM. Make sure it's seated right, or that it isn't toasted. You can try replacing the CMOS battery, too, if you want. They're cheap and easy to replace. However, I'm not sure how the two problems could be related without the mobo being at fault somewhere. You could also have futzed up your BIOS (somehow -grins-) so you should check that, too.

Does the system boot into windows? If it boots into windows then it is probley just your CMOS battery. If your getting errors in the windows envirnoment (something like error x000000D1) then your have RAM problems.

He said he's getting memory check errors when passing through POST. With the mem errors and the CMOS acting up, I have to consider that possibly something bigger (about mobo-breadbox sized) is a possible problem.

yes it does boot in to windows and runs fine when it is booted, i did get 1 error like this x000000D1 when i first switched it on and it said it had to reboot but i rebooted 9 or 10 times now and not had that one since, oh and i have tried different ram but i still get the mem test fail error at post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom