What makes my pc run faster (p3 and only 128mb ram!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawan AbuSalman

Daemon Poster
Hey...

1.Does it make the computer run faster if the files and folders are on another partition of

the hard disk and have shortuts on desktop? (My hard disk is 80 gb and I made it into 2

partitions;each 40 gb)

Also, what will make the comptuer run faster (it is very slow and only has 128 mb of ram),

if I install my programs to the same partition as Windows is installed on or to the other

partition?

Or is the difference unnoticable?

2.Is it better if I install an antivirs and and a internet security (was thinking of mcafae)

or is it better if I dont? Does it make the computer very much slower or not? (p3,

128ram!!!) (for which is the pros more than the cons?)

Thank YOu

well for speed probably ditch the antivirus because on slower computers it can make a big difference. but if you are using the internet on this computer it is pretty much a neccesity. what OS is the computer on? another thing is if it is a pre-built computer (i.e. dell, hp, compaq) often they are equipped with slower ram than can be used. for instance pc100 where pc133 can be used. try and get at least 256mb of pc133 i would say.

Good call on making separate partitions. That does speed up performance by a little. I would partition your HD as such:

6GB-Windows
34GB-Programs
40GB-User Files(Also where the page file goes)

As for antivirus, etc, do this:
-Use a lightweight virus scanner. AVG on my computer only uses about 9MB of RAM continuously
-Use a lightweight firewall. I hear that TinyFirewall is really good and uses minmal system resources
-Like nitestick said, if you can, get a bit more RAM, and your system will speed up a whole bunch. Even 256MB is really good.
-Don't use many desktop shortcuts, it takes memory to keep all that stuff there.

256MB PC133 might not work, my 1.0Ghz Coppermine 370 PIII with 133fsb doesn't support PC133, but only pc100. I still have an unused 256MB pc133 stick somewhere.

I have 133 in my p3 it works but it downclocks to 100 on yours it should work at full speed.I am buying 256 more 4 mine 4 10 bucks used that will improve performace a bit.

thanx for your replies guys...
I am using windows XP Pro...

You think having 3 partitions (6, 34, and 40 gb) is better?
Is the difference noticable or not? (compared to having ony 2, one for windows and prog and the other for files and folders)

As for the shortucs, does it take more memory to have the shortcuts on the desktop than to have the actuall files???

Is AVG and that firewall more effective than McAfae or Norton?
(or the same; in that case where it saves ram)

Do you advise me to install them rather than installing norton or macafae?

Norton is a system HOG!! Norton is very good, but takes a lot of resources. I cant remember how much McAfee took, but, I remember it was quite buggy, when I had it, although it might have changed.

Yes, I think that having those 3 partitions is better. But, having it that way wont increase performance by much at all.

Is there any way I can reduce the size of the partitions (and create a new one) without having to format and install windows again?

What about the shortcuts? Is it better if I have shortcuts or the actual folders on the desktop?

Is AVG effective?

I had norton in the past and it was good...I didnt have any probs with my pc but, as you said, it took a lot of resources...

McAfae was good to but took less resources than Norton, but still, if I am not mistaken, it took quite a lot...

Is 6GB enough for windows??? Lets say I partitioned them as you said (6,34,40) and installed the progs on D (34gb)...windows is on C....is there a way that when I want to install any program, it automatically has D as the directory? (I might not remember to change it everytime I want to install something!!)

Thanx Again

Yes, AVG is good. I don't know about how it is with system resources, though.

McAfee = garbage. Sorry, but I found out through experience. AVG will beat it, hands down. I use Computer Associates' ezArmor (firewall & anti-virus), as it works very well and uses almost no resources at all.

What all do you have running in the background? Use 'msconfig' and nix everything but your AV, firewall, and anything you have to have (I have my mouse driver and broadband client, and that's it). Getting rid of all the excess baggage running in the background will open up resources, thus speeding up your computer (as well as helping it start up quicker).

Defragging your hard drive can help as well, if it is fragmented.

Scan your system for adware and spyware. Go to http://www.trendmicro.com/spyware-scan/ and use TrendMicro's free online scan. You can use their online virus scan as well while you're there.

Go here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/TweakNow_RegCleaner_d4134.html and download TweakNow. Run it and let it clean up your registry. Just follow its directions about what is safe to delete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom